Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finally!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

DH is on board with me eliminating artificial colors from our diet.  DS is 6 years old.  He's incredibly smart and excelling in school, but the teacher comments are all the same; he's a little too hyper and has trouble focusing.  I've been talking about doing this for awhile now and DH didn't believe me when I told him about food dyes being known for causing hyperactivity in children and many parents who have children with ADHD have seen great improvement in their children when cutting them out.  He finally did a simple google search, saw the truth of what I was saying, and agreed that it wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Before he was simply insistant that DS was only bored in school because he is smart.  While I understand that aspect (I was placed in various academically gifted programs in school), I've felt for a long time that cutting out food dye and processed sugars would do him a world of good.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LightningBuggy
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:54 AM
Congrats ?
MilkLover0203
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:56 AM
That's such an odd thing to need permission for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:56 AM

I'll take it.  It just frustrates me when I'm always on the computer trying to learn more and more about diet and health and living more naturally and then DH brushes me off like I don't know anything.

Quoting LightningBuggy: Congrats ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:57 AM

Its not about permission.  I've been slowly doing it anyway.  I'm the one who does all the grocery shopping.  It has just been frustrating that he's been brushing me off when I bring it up.  Now he's on board.

Quoting MilkLover0203: That's such an odd thing to need permission for.

MilkLover0203
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:07 AM
Oh, it makes sense now. My husband was in denial even though EVERYONE we know including teachers told us there was a problem.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Its not about permission.  I've been slowly doing it anyway.  I'm the one who does all the grocery shopping.  It has just been frustrating that he's been brushing me off when I bring it up.  Now he's on board.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:16 AM

See, I don't think DS has a "problem", so to speak.  He can focus because he focuses on what interests him.  I was the same way as a kid; in 4th grade they diagnosed me as ADD and put me on ritalin.  I would spend hours reading or doing things that interested me, but I didn't like school.  And the teachers didn't like that I didn't like school.  I would smuggle a book into my lap and read in the middle of class and I wouldn't do my homework so, apparently, I couldn't focus.

Even if DS did have a problem, I would want to take a more natural approach to treatment before putting him on medication.  I hated being on medication.  It definitely changed my behavior and I hated my mom telling me to take my medication because I wasn't behaving the way she wanted me to (that was mostly later when I was put on depakote).

Quoting MilkLover0203: Oh, it makes sense now. My husband was in denial even though EVERYONE we know including teachers told us there was a problem.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

MilkLover0203
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:19 AM
We attempted medication with my son, and I wasn't pleased with the results. I just did my research, and did my own natural thing. It's been working great, and he does very well at school.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

See, I don't think DS has a "problem", so to speak.  He can focus because he focuses on what interests him.  I was the same way as a kid; in 4th grade they diagnosed me as ADD and put me on ritalin.  I would spend hours reading or doing things that interested me, but I didn't like school.  And the teachers didn't like that I didn't like school.  I would smuggle a book into my lap and read in the middle of class and I wouldn't do my homework so, apparently, I couldn't focus.

Even if DS did have a problem, I would want to take a more natural approach to treatment before putting him on medication.  I hated being on medication.  It definitely changed my behavior and I hated my mom telling me to take my medication because I wasn't behaving the way she wanted me to (that was mostly later when I was put on depakote).

Quoting MilkLover0203: Oh, it makes sense now. My husband was in denial even though EVERYONE we know including teachers told us there was a problem.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:22 AM

What does your son have?  And what have you been doing to treat it?

Quoting MilkLover0203: We attempted medication with my son, and I wasn't pleased with the results. I just did my research, and did my own natural thing. It's been working great, and he does very well at school.

MilkLover0203
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:25 AM
The doctor diagnosed him with ADHD, after we dealt with the school, and therapists, and every other freaking person. I changed his diet totally, and started giving him caffeine in the morning before school, as well as a supplement. It was honestly like a 360. I really thought he was gonna get kicked out of school. Now he's geting awards for having outstanding days.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting MilkLover0203: We attempted medication with my son, and I wasn't pleased with the results. I just did my research, and did my own natural thing. It's been working great, and he does very well at school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:30 AM

What do you use as the source of your caffeine?  I can't honestly say that I've noticed a difference when he drinks anything caffeinated, but I haven't looked for it either.

Quoting MilkLover0203: The doctor diagnosed him with ADHD, after we dealt with the school, and therapists, and every other freaking person. I changed his diet totally, and started giving him caffeine in the morning before school, as well as a supplement. It was honestly like a 360. I really thought he was gonna get kicked out of school. Now he's geting awards for having outstanding days.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)