• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for moms with older girls

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:17 AM
  • 42 Replies
My dd is 7 and not even near beginning to develop, but she's been asking lately when she's going to "get to" wear a bra. I don't remember wearing a training bra until I was about 10 and beginning to develop. She said that all of her friends wear one and she wants to too. I feel like it's just too early especially since there's no actual need for one yet.

When are they supposed to start wearing a training bra?
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Jennifer on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My girls started wearing cami bras or sports bras as soon as they asked me for them, even though they weren't developing yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:22 AM
I don't think it's a big deal. I would get her one.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:23 AM
Her cousin gave her a sports bra that she wears sometimes. I don't mind if she wears it, I just didn't know if there was a certain time they were "supposed to" start wearing one. I know there's that awkward time between beginning to develop and actually having breasts. This is all so new to me! Lol

Quoting csxt99:

My girls started wearing cami bras or sports bras as soon as they asked me for them, even though they weren't developing yet.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:26 AM
2 moms liked this
She has one that her older cousin gave to her, but I might just take her shopping and let her pick one out. I guess I just wasn't ready for this stage already :/

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't think it's a big deal. I would get her one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:30 AM

Why are kids in such a hurry to grow up?! My DD is 7 and a half. No boobies, no bra. Not that she's asked. She's a tomboy though. I'll get her one when she needs it. Who would want to start putting on a harness when it isn't even necessary! (I hate bras...)

csxt99
by Jennifer on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:31 AM

My two girls are 23 and 13. One developed young (8) and one did not. They both started wearing sports bras when they asked for a bra. My girls had to change for gym class starting in third or fourth grade. They wanted the bras by then just for privacy sake and because the other girls had them. Most of the girls did not need bras that young but they still wore them. Plus, they start developing younger now than girls did when I was young. 

Buckle up and just ride female adolescence out. It gets interesting.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom: Her cousin gave her a sports bra that she wears sometimes. I don't mind if she wears it, I just didn't know if there was a certain time they were "supposed to" start wearing one. I know there's that awkward time between beginning to develop and actually having breasts. This is all so new to me! Lol
Quoting csxt99:

eme20913
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:32 AM
My 7 year has a few sports bras but I draw the line at the padded ones, my younger sister got her 4 padded ones for her birthday and they are sitting on top of my bookshelf and they've been sitting there along with a pair of her size 3 high heeled sandals for about a year...
2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:33 AM
My 12 yr old has alway worn bras since she started school, at first it was because she wanted the cute sets in her size, but its been a necessity since 4th grade. Get her started early so she gets used to them. My oldest dd would "forget" to wear bras at least once a week.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:38 AM
That's what I told her! I said "You're going to HAVE to wear one of these for the rest of your life. Enjoy the freedom while you can" lol. My dd is a girly girl though. She's 7 going on 17 *rolling eyes* This tomboy mama can't deal with this.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Why are kids in such a hurry to grow up?! My DD is 7 and a half. No boobies, no bra. Not that she's asked. She's a tomboy though. I'll get her one when she needs it. Who would want to start putting on a harness when it isn't even necessary! (I hate bras...)

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha! I guess it's coming whether I'm ready or not. She already acts like she thinks she's a teenager. I'm not ready for her to actually be one. Yikes!

Quoting csxt99:

My two girls are 23 and 13. One developed young (8) and one did not. They both started wearing sports bras when they asked for a bra. My girls had to change for gym class starting in third or fourth grade. They wanted the bras by then just for privacy sake and because the other girls had them. Most of the girls did not need bras that young but they still wore them. Plus, they start developing younger now than girls did when I was young. 

Buckle up and just ride female adolescence out. It gets interesting.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom: Her cousin gave her a sports bra that she wears sometimes. I don't mind if she wears it, I just didn't know if there was a certain time they were "supposed to" start wearing one. I know there's that awkward time between beginning to develop and actually having breasts. This is all so new to me! Lol

Quoting csxt99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)