• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have no idea how to get my 3 year old to behave.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies
I need suggestions. I am feeling like a failure.

I have three kids. They are 1,3 and 8. My 8 year old daughter is a very well behaved, she always has been. My one year old is smiley and happy and not yet at the stage where he is misbehaving. My 3 year son seems to behave badly from the minute he's awake until the minute he goes to sleep.

He yells a lot if you tell him something he makes a shrill scream or yells no at us. He will not play nicely with toys he is rough with them and constantly banging them into furniture or the wall. He pesters his sister constantly in the car. The worst of it is him and his little brother. He doesn't ever want to play with him most days he just ignores the fact that he's even there, occasionally he wants to give him a hug or a kiss or if he is taking a nap in his room he will ask me if baby is sleeping etc. But mostly when the baby is awake he will not share with him. He's constantly snatching toys from him and at least a couple times a day he pushes him down.

I have tried everything in terms of discipline. I never wanted to spank my kids. I never have. My dh smacked his butt twice and it just seemed to make him act worse and he just laughed like it was funny.

I try time outs but he won't stay in them. I spend most my day putting him in time out. I've tried taking toys from him If he is doing something bad or turning the TV off during his hour of screen time he gets. I've tried to put the toy in time out.

Can anyone give me advice? I've been through the 3 year old stage with my daughter and she had a bad day here in there but nowhere near as bad as us. Dh says it's so stressful being here and he's fed up. I just want my son to go back to they easy going happy little guy he was before he turns 20 months old or so. Because since then I've been exhausted
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Kellyjude1
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:32 AM

We used time out and the behavioral chart.  Give him a warning and if he does not listen place him onto time out. Get down to his level and let him know why he is being placed on time out.  If he gets up continue to place him back on as many times as needed.  The key is no talking and staying calm. Eventually he will tire out and realize you mean what you say.  Consistency is key and following through.  Its not so much the time spent in time out but the understanding that he has to listen to you.  Allow him to pick out sitckers this will be for his behavioral chart so many stickers for good behavior and the 2 of you plan a day together doing something he likes.  For example going to the playground, to the movies or doing crafts.  Always praise good behavior.  Hopefully with some time he will seek your positive attention instead of the negative. Another suggestion for sibling bonding is family game night where everyone shares and takes a turn learning to respect one another will having a good time.  I hope some of these suggestions work.  Hang in there...things will get better.smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)