• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your kids play on gadgets whn you go out to eat?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
My 8 year old complains that she is bored anytime we go out to eat. She doesn't mind as bad if it's just us but when we go out with our extended family she gets bored of the conversations and antsy and wants to know when we are going. I let her play on her 3ds when we go out to eat so she has something to do until her food comes. My 3 year old is never easy to take out places and I don't want to disrupt other customers so occasionally i let him play on my phone.

My in laws tell my dh that they should be off them. They have daily limits of how often they can use tech devices so I don't see he harm. How do you feel about it?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wilky5
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:31 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it.
lapcounter
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:32 AM
No, it's no different then eating at home. It's family time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
No never. By 8 my children knew how to sit in a restaurant and behave. Even my three year old will sit for upwards of an hour and be quite and talk amongst her sisters. It's okay for children to be "bored". My children have to learn how to deal with or without constant electronic stimulation.
Momoftwinkies
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:33 AM
We do not let ours because dinner is face time not electronic time. All gadgets are put away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are grown, so there were no electronics to be taken anywhere when they were little. But my son doesnt allow my granddaughters to sit on phones or electronics while eating out. We took them all out last night and we all sat and had conversations before and during dinner. If anyone was "bored" too bad. Like another poster said, its ok for kids to be bored.  They dont have to constantly be doing something THEY want.  No one was disruptive and we all had good conversations with each other.

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:40 AM
Absolutely not. The most I ever allowed was paper and crayons for paper games.

I will say though, I work in a restaurant, and you're not alone. It blows my mind how many people give their kids DVD players and video games so they stay quiet
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:42 AM

When we are waiting for our food, yes, if I forgot to bring snacks or other distractions. Once the food comes, no.

But my kids are 3 and 2. Part of teaching them to sit still is offering quiet activities, whether that's playing with the paint app on my phone or with a couple of toy dinosaurs. By the time they start school, I'll expect them to sit and color their kids' menus or something, so I don't really see how it's any different.

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Only if the wait is really long. Like if we are waiting a while for a table. Generally, I do not let them play on electronics at the table. There was an exception once, where our food was taking forever to get there...we waited an hour and half for them just to bring the kids food, and we didn't get ours for another 30 minutes after that. I was not happy, but that's a different story lol. That time, I did let them play on my Kindle because it was taking so long. 

MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:49 AM
Nope. I have a soon to be 5 year old. If she gets bored she's given crayons to make a picture.
Emycf
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope. Dd4 loves going out to eat. We all talk and do hanging out together stuff while we're sitting at the table, so it's not boring.

Honestly, I think it's wee bit on the tacky side. I know other parents who think it's sign of a lack of parenting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)