• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teacher starting to tick me off!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
How would you handle this? My 8 year old son has adhd and has cognitive delays as well as a learning disability. Since kindergarten we have had a notebook system for communicating my son's performance and daily behavior in the classroom. It's worked extremely well up until this past year. This teacher is very forgetful. Sometimes she will forget to give my son back his notebook at the end of the day or not write in it for days at a time. She hasn't wrote in his notebook for the past 2 weeks. I wrote in his notebook asking her to please continue to write In everyday. She wrote back I'd be glad to but I'd appreciate it if you would initial it and write in it yourself. The proceeds to say my son checked out a book from her classroom library and she'll let me know what I owe her for it seeing as it hasn't been returned. The book she is referring to I have never seen in my son's back pack. I don't know of the book she is referring to.

I thought that was very rude. Not to mention my son is tutored 2 nights a week. They help him with his homework. I check it the night before it's due and it's in the take home folder like it's supposed to be. Yet I get a note home saying he didn't have his homework and had to stay on at recess. I'm sick of this I've had a meeting with the teachers and the principal but it didn't seem to do any good.

What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:27 PM
4 moms liked this

I would stop expecting everyone to cater to you & your child.

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM
It's it a requirement that she write in the notebook or a courtesy?
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Switch teachers?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I am surprised he doesn't have a classroom aide on his IEP. It is rare you'd have a general ed teacher communicating in a notebook on a daily basis, for that is time consuming and tough to get in. For students on my caseload that require this, it is always an aide providing that assistance, and taking the notes, monitoring the behavior chart. Sometimes the social worker helps too.  

I would call a meeting, and ensure everyone gets on the same page. If nothing is resolved, call an IEP meeting and discuss specific accommodations to be added. They must be followed if in an IEP.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Why is it rude that he lost a book and you have to replace it?  Also he should have to stay in if he isn't passing in his homework.  Those are consquences for his actions.  I imagine he can understand this? 

I have a son w/ADHD and learning disabilities and I wouldn't dream of making up the excuses for doing these things that you're. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I would sit down with my child and lecture him on responsability. He should be able to be organized enough to keep track of all of his belongings.  

Your child is not the only student the teacher has.  Step up and become more involved if you are having such problems.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Switch teachers?

It's February tomorrow. No school will abide that request. No teacher would want to take on a switch student. Honestly, it would be unfair to the student to be suddenly transferred to another class.  Her best bet is to have specific accommodations added to the IEP.

mommy2smommy2
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I would expect more from my child 

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:33 PM

So you're the expert on everything all schools everywhere do?  My kid's school pulled a kid out of her class mid year.  It happens.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Switch teachers?

It's February tomorrow. No school will abide that request. No teacher would want to take on a switch student. Honestly, it would be unfair to the student to be suddenly transferred to another class.  Her best bet is to have specific accommodations added to the IEP.

aheasley
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:34 PM

All you can do is keep advocating for your son. You are his greatest champion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)