• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SSI help.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
I applied for ssi in February and got approved in May. I was originally receiving $480.00 a month. In October I told them that two of my roommates moved out and I have been having to pay $375.00 in rent (which is half). I told them that the people who moved out were giving me $100/mo from October to december and they subtracted $100 from my earnings -- which I understand. I still got the same amount in January. I checked my balance today and they subtracted the usual $100 and then another $100 and I don't know why! Nothing has changed other than I am no longer receiving the $100 anymore and I have to call them and tell them on Monday. I don't understand why they would just take extra money out for no reason. Can someone explain this to me?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:58 PM

I have no idea so here is a bump. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I have no idea so here is a bump. 

Thank you.

shuturpiehole
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Good luck with that. My son is on SSI and it's horrible getting any kind of help from them.

Example, I have zero income because I have to stay at home to take full time care of him, plus I am pending disability myself. Well, they are yelling at me that his check can't be used to support other people and why is his check used to pay bills. His check is to go ONLY for his full time care. Um do they not understand that me being at home to care for him full time IS his full time care? Do they not understand him being homeschooled because he can't cope in regular school and is too smart and social for special ed classes, IS part of his full time care?

And where am I supposed to get income if I can't work because I'm disabled and if I'm at home with a disabled child full time? I get student loans for going to online college but that only goes so far.

Sorry I hijacked your post with my own complaints.

As far as I can advise, they will take what they want from your check, they don't have to tell you when or why they do it, they don't have to fix it, they don't have to explain anything, and if they actually DO fix it, it could take MONTHS for it to get fixed. You might have that money taken out every month for the next 6 months. You might not. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Quoting shuturpiehole:

Good luck with that. My son is on SSI and it's horrible getting any kind of help from them.

Example, I have zero income because I have to stay at home to take full time care of him, plus I am pending disability myself. Well, they are yelling at me that his check can't be used to support other people and why is his check used to pay bills. His check is to go ONLY for his full time care. Um do they not understand that me being at home to care for him full time IS his full time care? Do they not understand him being homeschooled because he can't cope in regular school and is too smart and social for special ed classes, IS part of his full time care?

And where am I supposed to get income if I can't work because I'm disabled and if I'm at home with a disabled child full time? I get student loans for going to online college but that only goes so far.

As far as I can advise, they will take what they want from your check, they don't have to tell you when or why they do it, they don't have to fix it, they don't have to explain anything, and if they actually DO fix it, it could take MONTHS for it to get fixed. You might have that money taken out every month for the next 6 months. You might not. Good luck.

If you are trying to get disabled and can't work because he's so disabled then why are you going to school?  What do you think is going to change from now til you finish schooling that will enable you to be able to work then but not now?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:16 PM
I hate ssi. I received it for a short term last year on my ds. Well October they said I owed them $5000 in over payment. I am still waiting to see if the waiver is going through .
SoftlipsLiz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:17 PM
I have just about the same situation. I stay home to take care of my son and he receives ssi. I absolutely use it for bills. Before I quit my job to provide him with full time care I had my way more money. I took a significant cut to stay home with him. How else could I even pay bills.
How do they know exactly what you are spending it on anyway?

Quoting shuturpiehole:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:17 PM

wow, it is not the government's job to support all of you because your kid has issues.  Why are you making so many excuses for him about his behavior?  Your post is filled with entitlement issues.

Quoting shuturpiehole:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:19 PM

the repubs are trying to cut disability , be prepared.   I see a lot of entitlement issues going on in this post.

shuturpiehole
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:20 PM

I'm going to school for entreprenuership and complementary and alternative health. Hopefully I'll be able to transition to partial disability and work from home part time at some point. That's my plan at this time. I have disability accomodations at my school, and want to work from home so I can work around my disability. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting shuturpiehole:

If you are trying to get disabled and can't work because he's so disabled then why are you going to school?  What do you think is going to change from now til you finish schooling that will enable you to be able to work then but not now?

only_1_4_me
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:21 PM

do you recieve Medicare with the ssi? they charge 100 a month for that. maybe that one of the 100 withdrawls from the check?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)