Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do your kids friends do this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
I am starting to wonder about my son's friend's dad. Today Jacob (son's friend) came down to see if my son could play. He proceeds to tell me that his dad is living with his step mom and said his dad told him he could stay at our house while they were gone. They live 5 houses up from us. I told him I didn't know because we were getting ready to eat lunch and I had a ton of Laundry to do. My son begged me to let him stay. Again I was still on the fence mainly because I felt like I wasn't asked but they just assumed I'd babysit him while they went out. I caved and agreed he could stay. I told my oldest who's 10 to walk Jacob up to his dad's and let him know he could stay. I don't have his dad's number and I was in the middle of making lunch. They came back 5 minutes later and said they'd told him.

Well Wednesday of last week Jacob's dad called and asked if we'd watch Jacob after school until he got home from work. He called 4 minutes before the bus got to the bus stop. My husband agreed. Called me at home and told me. I had to pick my oldest up from pe club at 4:40 and ended up having to take all 4 boys.

Since when did kids being friends turn into personal babysitter?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LucyBall20
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
You aren't, if you just say no. It isn't your responsibility and he will keep doing it as long as you let him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:38 PM
When you say yes... unless they are with each other all the time, which is how it happened with me. Ds always has these two brother over ALL THE TIME so if mom had to get them to take them to a sitter when she went to another job or run to the store or whatever, I'd just say they could stay here. One day turned into two, turned into 3 days- one being friday night sleep overs. Lol but i don't mind. It gives ds someone to play with and with three kids, there's a dynamic that if they don't agree with something, they gotta figure it out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:39 PM
That is strange. I had a neighbor like that growing up. His parents just didn't care.

We are friends with our neighbors and we have asked them to grab the kids of we were going to be later than the bus, and their teen son has kept an eye on them for us once (we paid him). I am also their daughters emergency contact at school. But we have each others numbers. I would never presume that they would be watched or have my child ask.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:43 PM

It's happened on occasion, last minute requests and stuff. But the parents never just assume, they always ask. Now, the BFFs of my oldest two kids are sisters, and their mom is my BFF. So they are welcome here anytime, and they know that. But they're a special case; I'm like a second mom to them (and their mom is the same to mine).

chicklopez
by ItsFunnierInEnochian on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Like PP said, just start saying no. 

or stop answering the phone. Explain to your kids they cant give permission to their friends themselves and have to always talk to you first. Otherwise I can see your kiddos being asked, them saying yes, and you still feel suckered into it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)