• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have experience with application process for rentals?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

my husband and I had fallen behind on our Mortage due to a few reasons. Anyway, we are in the process of doing a short sale for our home. We have lived here six years so no rental history in that time. Anyway, we are looking for rentals now and wondering if it will be very difficult to get a place. Our credit obviously is awful, but we aren't criminals. Thank you!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:00 PM

really shouldn't be an issue. they might ask for a bigger deposit. but thats about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM

As a landlord I would never rent to someone with bad credit.  Neither will agencies.  You may find an individual landlord that will make an exception.

ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM
They may ask for money up front but you should be ok
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM
I had the same issue...I just told them ahead of time what was going on with my credit because of my mortgage. They didn't have an issue with it, and told me that was very common.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:02 PM
Have you ever rented? Not having a rental history will probably hurt to an extent, and the bad credit obviously will hurt you some. You may have to get a cosigner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:03 PM
Our credit isn't great and we rent with a realtor. We have a strong rental history though and have paid rent on time for 14 years, so renting isn't an issue for us.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

As a landlord I would never rent to someone with bad credit.  Neither will agencies.  You may find an individual landlord that will make an exception.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Yes we have rented before. My husband has been in the military for 20 years so between living on post and having to rent we have a good rental history.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Have you ever rented? Not having a rental history will probably hurt to an extent, and the bad credit obviously will hurt you some. You may have to get a cosigner.

LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:05 PM
As long as your income is 3 times your rent and you are not self employed it should not be a problem. I know my mom will never rent to a self employed person again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:06 PM
Same with us. My husband has been in for 14 years. You really shouldn't have a problem renting then. If they are worried offer to do an allotment for rent, it really makes things easier for everyone, and they know they are going to get their money.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Yes we have rented before. My husband has been in the military for 20 years so between living on post and having to rent we have a good rental history.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Have you ever rented? Not having a rental history will probably hurt to an extent, and the bad credit obviously will hurt you some. You may have to get a cosigner.

lovinglife1622
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:10 PM
We just rented out our house through an agency. They needed a good rental history and good credit, but we used to live in a place where there were a lot of people who have bad credit renting so it depends on the place you will be renting from.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)