• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People who are in charge of hiring..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

SO is looking for a job.  He has had multiple offers so far.  He got a job interview very quickly from  two places, in particular.  When they went over his resume at the interview, they said that he was overqualified.  They did offer to pass his resume through to other branches for upper management type jobs, but that's not really what we want.  We have savings.  We keep our bills low.  We aren't hurting for money.  We don't want another job were he's putting in 80 hour weeks (bash if you want about low ambition we'd rather be able to spend time together).  That goes especially for salaried occupations.

Is this an excuse they tell people when they are not actually interested, or a legit worry?  What's the reasoning behind it?  I have always had simple retail jobs.  Department stores, mall, etc..  So, I have never heard "overqualified".

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:12 PM
I heard that MC Donald's is hiring
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Overqualified just means that they don't want to pay him more because he has more experience.
lovinglife1622
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't even know why I opened this, I have never been in charge of hiring so here's a bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:17 PM

They are thinking he will only stay until something better comes along.  They don't want to waste time hiring someone then a week or two later that person quits for a higher position somewhere else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:18 PM

I suppose that makes sense, as well as paying for experience.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

They are thinking he will only stay until something better comes along.  They don't want to waste time hiring someone then a week or two later that person quits for a higher position somewhere else.

MicheleJM
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:19 PM
Idk I always thought it meant that the job wouldn't pay enough for the hiree. Your dh can simply state he wouldn't have applied for the job at the salary offered if he wasn't interested in it. He can also say something how his experience would be benefit the company in the job hrs doing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Hey, now.  I did work at Mcdonalds as a teen..

It had it's fun times, and got me my first car.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I heard that MC Donald's is hiring

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:24 PM
I hated it! Lol

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Hey, now.  I did work at Mcdonalds as a teen..

It had it's fun times, and got me my first car.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I heard that MC Donald's is hiring

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Hiring costs time and money.  9 times out of 10 the person says they are ok with low pay but that's just because they are desperate because unemployment ran out or something.  So they will just take it to later quit.  Also I would not be interested in hiring someone who has no ambition to move up in a company.  Those people tend to be lazy and I want people with drive. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I suppose that makes sense, as well as paying for experience.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:28 PM
Tell him to change his resume for the job he's applying for.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)