Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age to start kids in sports? And how many things at once?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:48 PM
  • 140 Replies
My son is 5. I want to start him in football and basketball early. I think I will start him in the next upcoming season.

Sports are already a big part of our lives even though he doesn't play anything yet. And he already has a very good grasp on both sports and how they are played. He makes me so proud when he rathers to watch a football game/basketball game/ESPN instead of nick jr or Disney channel :D lol

If you have kids in sports, what age did they start? And do you think it's a good idea to start more than 1 at a time or is it better to start with one and then add another activity later?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:49 PM
5-6.. I wouldn't start two at the same time.
PrincessKarma
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:49 PM

I think alot of parents start their kids in things at a younger age. I mostly hear it around 3-4 years old.
I don't generally start so young though..... I really do plan on signing my Kinder up for sports or something next year when he's in first grade. Seems better, they have wrestling I was thinking about and of course either t-ball or soccer. Hell maybe even some kind of Karate or similar.

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gabriella (: on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:49 PM
I say go all out?!
Unless your child doesn't want to. I just feel it's up to your child and what he feels he can handle.
I just signed Sergio up for soccer and he's 3. I want to put Natalie in ballet but they only take 3 and up -_-
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:51 PM
DS started at 5. he's 8 now and has dabbled in a few things to see what he enjoyed playing the most. Currently he's sticking with karate and Soccer. The soccer season is only so many week from about Sept-Nov so he does both during that time. He does karate year round. I'm trying to find something else for him to try, I just havent figured it out yet.
MrsCountryMama
by Jackie Mama on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:51 PM
4 Years old, baseball and basketball
Mrs.Velasquez
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 7 and wants nothing to do with playing a sport :/ however, she wants to do gymnastics, so we will start her in that, and she's deciding between the violin and piano. For right now I'm okay with her doing 2-3 things at once. Once my youngest starts school I don't want to be over whelmed with things. So we will see.
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:53 PM
My mom started me in dance when I was 2 years old.

Can little ones that age really understand a complex game like football though? I mean, the basics aren't too complex but there is a LOT to actually playing. My youngest just turned 3 and I can't imagine him being able to fully comprehend and play a full sport lol. Maybe I'm overthinking it? They probably keep things age appropriate at that level.

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst: I say go all out?!
Unless your child doesn't want to. I just feel it's up to your child and what he feels he can handle.
I just signed Sergio up for soccer and he's 3. I want to put Natalie in ballet but they only take 3 and up -_-
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cutebaby06
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You realize you have to take him to pratice and go to the games, do t becaus ehe wants to, not because so you can have a reason to spend time with your "Z" list losers.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:54 PM
DS started soccer at 4. It was 2 8 week sessions which was enough.

Dd does tumbling, age 8. Once a week, 6 week sessions. Perfect.
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:54 PM
Ok so 5 is DEF old enough :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)