Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Misconceptions about Addicts

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM
  • 23 Replies

The one I hate the most is that addicts have no willpower or motivation.

It's a biological and psychological dependence.  We can have crazy motivation to satify our addictions.

Do you have any misconceptions?  Do you want to honestly know something? Ask me.

Are you sick of any misconceptions?  What are they?

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:26 PM
No, I was an addict too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:28 PM
Well I also hate the misconception that you stated.

My 2 sisters and I were told we had nearly a 90% chance of being addicts. Both of our parents were users and alcoholics. My dad's brothers are all alcoholics.

None of us are. None of us even as much as smoke. I might sip a Pina colada when I am in my pool.
theTosh.O
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Getting over my addiction to alcohol was the hardest thing I've ever gone through.  If you knew my life, you'd know that was saying something, lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: Well I also hate the misconception that you stated. My 2 sisters and I were told we had nearly a 90% chance of being addicts. Both of our parents were users and alcoholics. My dad's brothers are all alcoholics. None of us are. None of us even as much as smoke. I might sip a Pina colada when I am in my pool.

theTosh.O
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:31 PM

BUMP!

theTosh.O
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:36 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:38 PM
I have dealt with my addictions. Brought me down to my knees. It was a matter of stopping or dying... I was under the illusion that my problems justified using. I was only looking for reasons to use. Realising that pain is universal and most make it through without abusing alcohol and drugs was my awakening.
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:39 PM

I hate the misconception that just because its been years since I "kicked" my addictions that I don't struggle and fight it still.  Somedays are good and I am ok but somedays.... its my will power alone that keeps me from going over that edge again and loosing everything.

Mrs_Boho
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Nope, I was an addict!
cbk_mom3
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:41 PM

I'm glad you were able to overcome your addictions. DH's brother was a life long heroin addict, and the one we always hated was that addicts are stupid. BIL was probably the most talented, artistic, intelligent person I ever met. I agree, it's not that he wasn't motivated. He did everything in his power. Sadly, in the end, the heroin won. One night, while he was high, he tried to fly out a 4th story hotel window, and we lost him. The worst thing I've ever been through was watching my parents in law bury their youngest child, and watching DH bury his baby brother. Especially knowing how hard all of them, and BIL especially fought.

MilkLover0203
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:42 PM
Nah, I'm well versed in this. Here's a bump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)