Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I only worked 4 days in the beginning of January, why does my W-2 show such a big amount in the wages section?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

I left the job four days into the new year. I was working one day a week. Last week, I received my W-2 and in the amount in the Wages slot is way more than whatever I made in those 4-5 days. Can any of you ladies explain why? Should I leave this paystub at home when I go file? Call the company? Is this normal?

TIA

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:07 PM
It accounts for last year not this year.
theboyfactory
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM
It would be the amount on your first paycheck of the year. It's the money you received during the year, not pay for the days you worked during the year.
Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM
Are you talking about Jan 2014? Or 2015? You know you are filling for 2014, right?
blessed107
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Duh! Lol! I had to.

theboyfactory
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Likely, your first paycheck you received in the year was for the previous 2 weeks which would have gone into the end of the previous year.
theboyfactory
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:11 PM
Wait, what year are you talking about?
wilky5
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:11 PM
It may be from wages earned in the previous year. Your W2 is based on when you were paid, not when you worked.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:25 PM

If you left the job, it might also include your first week's pay, if they held it back, and any vacation/sick time that you had accumulated. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:25 PM

I left the job 2014, only worked 4 days in total. I should be getting a W-2 for these 4 days I worked, and I didnt make much. The wages section shows something entirely different, so I'm a little confused. Whatever money I made in 2013, shouldnt count. 

Quoting theboyfactory: Wait, what year are you talking about?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:27 PM

That's what I thought but the amount is insane. It makes no sense. Don't know if I should contact the IRS, don't feel comfortable contacting the company. 

Quoting LokisMama:

If you left the job, it might also include your first week's pay, if they held it back, and any vacation/sick time that you had accumulated. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)