• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone here a CPM or trying to be?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
How'd you do it? Was it worth it? and by CPM I mean certified professional midwife :)
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Liastele
by Lauren on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:35 PM

My friend is a nurse practitioner and is pretty miserable. She is "over qualified" for a normal nursing job and back at the bottom experience wise as a NP. Everyone tells her to specialize, but she's nervous to specialize, pay another 30k for another year of grad school, and have an even smaller pool of jobs to choose from. It's not like a town needs that many midwives. 

Delivering babies is fun, but are you willing to move your family 700 miles across the country for a steady job?

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:42 PM
It depends on where you live. If you live in a bigger city it might be easier to find work as a midwife. I work at a hospital as a doula and we only have one midwife employed by the hospital and she is in high demand. She is a Nurse -Midwife. I'm interested in becoming a CPM and doing more of the homebirth thing.

Quoting Liastele:

My friend is a nurse practitioner and is pretty miserable. She is "over qualified" for a normal nursing job and back at the bottom experience wise as a NP. Everyone tells her to specialize, but she's nervous to specialize, pay another 30k for another year of grad school, and have an even smaller pool of jobs to choose from. It's not like a town needs that many midwives. 

Delivering babies is fun, but are you willing to move your family 700 miles across the country for a steady job?

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:50 PM
Bump
yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Bump
yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:16 PM
There's so many people in this group..no one? Lol. Come on :/.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Nope there are only a handful of midwifes in my state at all.  I can't imagine there would even be a big need here. 

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:21 PM
What state, if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Nope there are only a handful of midwifes in my state at all.  I can't imagine there would even be a big need here. 

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:23 PM

I won't give you state but one of the New England states.

Quoting yayasdaughter: What state, if you don't mind me asking?
Quoting fullxbusymom:

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:27 PM
Ah, ok. Where I live there is more of a want for midwives lately. The one midwife at the hospital I work for is overbooked all the time. I think it'd be something I'd love to do. Just trying to get opinions and research more before I just dive into a midwifery school.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I won't give you state but one of the New England states.

Quoting yayasdaughter: What state, if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)