Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sick baby and lack of wet diapers?? update talked to doctor. ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
She is 9momths old. She has an ear infection and a cold. The first medicine she was on made her puke. So after 3 doses she was switched to a different medicine. Well she also started having liquid bowel movements when she started the meds. Well today she has been fussy. And had many diaper changes but now its been about 8hours since she's had one. If it I was over night I wouldn't be worried but these have been mostly awake hours. Should I be worried? Call the doctor?

I talked to the doctor they said give her some electrolytes in a cup or bottle. She doesn't drink from either but we will try and if that fails I will give it to her with her medicine dropper. If she doesn't go in the next 3 hours I have to take her to the children's hospital.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:40 PM

I would call the dr that does not sound good to me at all. How is her fluid intake??

CStarz
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:42 PM

She sounds dehydrated- I would call the pedi and see if she needs to go get some fluids that's way too long a time without passing liquid especially for a baby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:43 PM
She's nursed a few times today. I thought it was about normal but maybe not.

Quoting Lauriemom:

I would call the dr that does not sound good to me at all. How is her fluid intake??

calcalmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:44 PM
Is she eating at all? Id call her doctor but I think you could give her pedialyte to help rehydrate her.
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:44 PM
Press her toes with your fingers. If the color comes back in 1-2 seconds she's good, longer than she's at risk of dehydration.

Has she been drinking? If she's dehydrated but drinking it may be enough to equalize, but enough to eliminate...so she's not getting quite enough.

My youngest ended up in the hospital at 10 months for dehydration after an ear infection :( his medicine made him throw up too. Urgent care (Saturday night) told me he wasn't dehydrated, but he continued to throw up through Sunday. Monday I took him to the pedi and she sent us to the hospital immediately. Not even the ER, straight admitted. He spent the night there on fluids and an IV antibiotic.
Happy0064
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Call the doctor-- same thing happened with my son-- ended up with IV fluid

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:46 PM

:( I'm sorry momma. I would call your pedi and ask him what he thinks. It could be no big deal but it's safer to check

Quoting Anonymous 1: She's nursed a few times today. I thought it was about normal but maybe not.
Quoting Lauriemom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I just messaged a nurse friend to see what she says.

Quoting CStarz:

She sounds dehydrated- I would call the pedi and see if she needs to go get some fluids that's way too long a time without passing liquid especially for a baby.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:48 PM

I'd call her ped.

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, look inside her mouth and check for moisture on the mucus membranes. That is a good indicator of hydration. HUGS to your baby girl, 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)