• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ASTHMA ADVICE NEEDED

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
does anyone have any advice at all on asthma? DD23 has been diagnosed but the doctor doesn't have any appointments for about two more weeks to do a management plan with her. Currently she doesn't even have a list of triggers to listen for incase she needs to go to the hospital. Anything you've got at all. One question I've got is spacer or no spacer?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:13 PM
23 years old, or months?

Older kids and adults don't typically use spacers. 23 months she would use a nebulizer.
kee1006b
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:16 PM

If her chest starts tightening,use inhaler.  If that doesn't help er.  Don't waste time.  She may not have set triggers yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:49 PM
Years

Quoting Twiceblessedmom: 23 years old, or months?

Older kids and adults don't typically use spacers. 23 months she would use a nebulizer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Spacer. Absolutely spacer.

I understand your frustration. I've had asthma since I was like 11ish but very very mild. In the past 9 months it has escalated and I'm short of breath ALL the time. I have to wait three months between appointments to adjust things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:56 PM

I'm 28 and I use a spacer. My pulmonologist told me that if you don't use an inhaler, the spray just basically hit the back of your throat and you swallow the medication. That's for everyone, not just kids.

Quoting Twiceblessedmom: 23 years old, or months? Older kids and adults don't typically use spacers. 23 months she would use a nebulizer.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Spacer it helps tremendously.  There isn't much anyone can help you with if you don't know what triggers it just learning to be aware when an attack is coming on and using her inhaler. 

eadyT
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:03 AM
What you said is pretty close to what I was going to say.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Spacer it helps tremendously.  There isn't much anyone can help you with if you don't know what triggers it just learning to be aware when an attack is coming on and using her inhaler. 

Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:27 AM
We are all asthmatics here and our meds work correctly, the only one that uses a spacer is my young daughter with her maintenance. I've never seen adults with spacers, but I can see where they are helpful to some. :-)

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I'm 28 and I use a spacer. My pulmonologist told me that if you don't use an inhaler, the spray just basically hit the back of your throat and you swallow the medication. That's for everyone, not just kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:29 AM

Sapcers help everyone, actually. You get some medication either way, but mroe with a spacer (no matter your age and 'skill level.')

Also, a 23 month old would get as much benefit from an inhaler as a nebulizer:)

Quoting Twiceblessedmom: We are all asthmatics here and our meds work correctly, the only one that uses a spacer is my young daughter with her maintenance. I've never seen adults with spacers, but I can see where they are helpful. :-)
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Twiceblessedmom: 23 years old, or months? Older kids and adults don't typically use spacers. 23 months she would use a nebulizer.

Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:38 AM
Okay, I'm certainly not going to debate it. Your physician feels one way, ours another, perhaps OP should do what her physician, or she, feel comfortable with. *shrug* :-)

And of course technically an inhaler helps as well as a nebulizer, but a child of that age, not even 2 years old, it's simply easier and more beneficial due to them not understanding how to even DO an inhaler, even with a spacer, lol.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Sapcers help everyone, actually. You get some medication either way, but mroe with a spacer (no matter your age and 'skill level.')

Also, a 23 month old would get as much benefit from an inhaler as a nebulizer:)

Quoting Twiceblessedmom: We are all asthmatics here and our meds work correctly, the only one that uses a spacer is my young daughter with her maintenance. I've never seen adults with spacers, but I can see where they are helpful. :-)

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)