Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trisomy 13

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:44 PM
  • 40 Replies
I just watched a heartbreaking documentary on this disease and it made me curious, if you you knew your newborn would pass shortly after birth, would you continue the pregnancy?

** I also just want to add to anyone who has lost a child in any way before or after birth, no matter age or stage in pregnancy, or if it was intentional or not, my heart goes out to you and your child.
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ray-of-Beezy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm honestly not sure. My knee-jerk reaction says terminate, but I can't say for sure since I've never been in that position.
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I have had a friend and family member terminate. Excruciatingly sad and one reason why I am ardently pro choice.
FuzzyTendrils
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know what I'd do. I wouldn't want to selfishly cause my baby pain or suffering because I wanted him/her to live so badly I couldn't terminate.

On the other hand, I'd want him/her to live so badly I don't know if I could terminate.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, would abort without a second thought.  As heartbroken as I would be it would be what would be best for everyone involved. 

FrumpyPigSkin
by Don't Burn The Pig on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I honestly don't know and I honestly hope I never have to find out. I can't imagine the pain.
teri4lance
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:00 AM
2 moms liked this

if I had definitive proof that my childhad a life ending trisomy, I would probably abort. I wouldn't want to put a child thru a short pain filled life, and I would not want to put myself and my family thru a fruitless pregnancy. We would probably not tell anyone anything other than I lost the baby. That's my choice, and I'm the only one who I can judge for it. I wouldn't judge anyone else for making a different choice for themselves.

eme20913
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, I'm with y'all that say you wouldn't know what choice to make. I just can't decide what would be worse, aborting and feeling like the child didn't mean as much to others as to me or going through everything so the child would have to go through that pain and pass away anyway. :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:09 AM

I would abort for anything fatal within the first few years of life. I couldn't do that to a child. 

I would also abort for trisomy 21 (Down's syndrome). That one is more controversial, but I don't think I could handle a child with Down's syndrome. I have a family member with it, and as much as I love him, I know how absolutely difficult life has been for his parents and siblings.

CrimsonEleven
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:15 AM
From personal experience, no, I would not continue the pregnancy.
HeavenonEarth81
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:16 AM

I would continue the pregnancy... Doctors are not always 100% right. Plus I'd want the chance to hold them in my arms so they knew that I loved them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)