Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten requirements -EDIT

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:04 AM
  • 42 Replies

I'm sure this varies state by state and possibly school by school, but what was your kid required to know before s/he could start kindergarten?

EDIT: Thanks for all of the replies so far. My DD is 3.5 years and hopefully will be starting K when she's 5, if they don't go and chance the cutoff date for the birthday etc. {her bday is August 19}. I looked up our district for info, and unless I just don't know how to find the info, there doesn't seem to be any initial requirements. I did find out, however, that K is not even required in our state. So if she cannot start K due to bday issues, I will most likely just send her on to 1st grade when she's 6.

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:04 AM
I need to know too!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Now? Hardly anything. 10 years ago? How to tie shoes, write name, and independently use the restroom.
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Bump
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:07 AM

I have no idea. My friend has a 4 year old who repeatedly fails his pre-k assessments and they're still letting him into Kinder next year.

ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:08 AM
5 by sept 1. There is no other requirement for public school.
My kids knew letters. Sounds, write name, how to count to 100 and tie their shoes but that is the kind of things they worked on. Went ahead and sent them to private after that.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:09 AM
All Letter and number recognition. Counting to 20. Primary color recognition and most shapes.

Before first grade, the student must be reading sight words and counting to 100.
pokemongirl0191
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:10 AM

I live in canada and Where i live we have 2 levels of kindergarden Jr and Sr.  my DD will be able to start Jr this year becuase she will be 3 going on 4 by Decmber 31. 

Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:10 AM
I don't recall any requirements.
blessedmommie07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:10 AM

All I know is they require more paperwork

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
This, plus some basic math, knowing how to write and spell their name, knowing how to write letters/numbers. They had a whole pack of papers they sent home for the child to complete before starting kindergarten.

Quoting KendallsMommee: All Letter and number recognition. Counting to 20. Primary color recognition and most shapes.

Before first grade, the student must be reading sight words and counting to 100.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)