Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

newborn scared of the dark?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:13 AM
  • 35 Replies
We brought our son home from the hospital yesterday I noticed he cried every time tuned out the light so I slept in the living room I thought maybe he needed to just adjust to the house he was born early and spent the last few weeks in the NICU.

Tonight when we turned out the lights he cried again so I turned on the lights and he was fine I fed him and held him for a little bit then put him down he was fine so after 20ins I tuned out the light he started crying I tuned on the light he was fine I picked him up and turned off the light he was quite for a kin then started crying so now we are back in the living room for another night.

Is it possible for a newborn to be scared of the dark and has anyone ever dealt with this?
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:15 AM
Get a nightlight.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:15 AM
Awww..congrats!

My DD hated lights..lol.

Here's a bump!
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:17 AM
Lots of things can be scary for a newborn. The nicu probably had more light than your house so the staff could move about, and that's what he got used to.
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:17 AM
We have just always used a nightlight so I'm not really sure? I feel like a baby can't be scared of the dark but I've never dealt with nicu issues so I'm not sure because Id assume baby spent a lot of time under bright lights in hospital? What a mess that must be! Sorry mama, hope you both get some good rest soon!!
mommybear91
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM
My little daughter (1month) doesn't care lights on or off. Good luck. Just get a night light
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:19 AM
I wouldn't say he is scared of the dark, just used to the lights from NICU. When we brought our son home he needed noise to sleep because that's what he was used to from the hospital.
valdez-tribe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:20 AM
SO isn't a big fan lights while he sleeps so that's why I take him to the living room

Quoting Anonymous 1: Get a nightlight.
valdez-tribe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:24 AM
Thank you.... My oldest hated light also

Quoting KendallsMommee: Awww..congrats!

My DD hated lights..lol.

Here's a bump!
SamanthaSage
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Get him one of those sleep masks. Is the baby in the same room as you?

Quoting valdez-tribe: SO isn't a big fan lights while he sleeps so that's why I take him to the living room
Quoting Anonymous 1: Get a nightlight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:28 AM

The womb was dark....so that doesn't make sense to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)