Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why will parents not keep sick kids home?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:39 AM
  • 52 Replies
We have 9 kids in my sons class and 5 are currently sick with at least a couple confirmed flu.

Two weeks ago a girl threw up in the classroom. Sadly the mom refused to pick up her daughter even with fever and throwing up.

Last week we had a kid that looked terrible. Went to nurse, no fever so back to class where projectile vomit came ten minutes later. Then another started barfing too.

Today another child looked and felt horrible, but no spiked fever. She had to be rocked by teacher and fell asleep in classroom, yet the parent refused to pick her up.

I know a couple other boys have stayed home, ran fever the day before and will be sent to school the next day.

Teachers are sanitizing as much as possible but the flu is rampant.

So far my son is ok... But I am watching him carefully. Should I just keep him home at this point? He loves school.

And it makes me so sad when parents don't care enough to take their child home. Heck I would go get my son for any reason. I am currently staying close just in case.
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildbruin24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Sick children should stay in the clinic or office until their parent picks them up.
ups.and.downs28
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:42 AM
I had to keep my little guy home today :( pukey and poopy. No way I would ever think to take him to school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Lots of reasons.

No paid leave or leave to take off.

No sitter to watch sick child.

No spouse who can help.

No supporting family member or friend.

Mandated school attendance even for sick kids who are sick but not sick enough to need to go to a doctor. < ---- Probably the biggest one.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:45 AM

Every time I've been called to pick DS up they thank me for doing so. I always thought it was weird, but after reading this post it makes sense. Poor kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:45 AM
Because it is send them sick or miss work and get fired.

That is why the day care I run allows sick kids. We just put them in another room, so they can sleep. Or watch tv. (Only time we allow tv, unless they have been very good and we have a movie day.)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:49 AM

sadly not all parents can take off work.

And schools like to flip out if your kids miss too many days.

Kids may have felt fine in the AM, and barfing mid afternoon, But because they where not yet sick enough for the school to allow them to stay out they had to go, Parents leave for work have crappy jobs that dont allow sick days or anything like that and threaten the parents job if they do go get the kid. No other adults to look after the sick child....Sorry, Sucks but thats life. Vitamin C and garlic are great immunity boosters!

TheMaddHatress
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

I don't keep them home for every sniffle But fevers, puking,diarrhea, bad stomach pains, and sore throats I do,we seem to be prone to strep so sore throats are can be a first sign.

silverflash
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

Quoting Mamabear010:

Lots of reasons.

No spouse who can help.

Mandated school attendance even for sick kids who are sick but not sick enough to need to go to a doctor. < ---- Probably the biggest one.

Yes this last one. My son gets really bad head colds, he feels miserable but not much can be done for him. No point in taking him to the doctors and the school will not excuse the absence without a doctors note. 

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says W.T.F.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:00 AM
My son missed seven days of school total this year. Five had a doctors note and two were from when his grandfather had renal failure and his kidneys were shutting down. I was fined $1400 last week by the school district and told i will be fined $500 for every day missed now on including early pick ups or if he is sent home ill.

Hate to say it but he is going to have to tough it out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:04 AM
My daughter gets sick often, especially this year. I take her to the doctors to receive doctors notes, which is $30 copay each visit. She's been out twice for a week each (doctors note stated dates) the school is still the eating that if she misses one more day this trimester (their allowed 7days) that a truancy officer will visit. Doctors notes aren't always an escape from the school being off your ass either :(

Quoting Mamabear010:

Lots of reasons.

No spouse who can help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)