Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you take maternity leave?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
With my son I took leave the day I was having him (induction) at 34 weeks. This time around I am 34 weeks and am scared to death I will deliver my dd at work. I am a nurse and the only one in the building at night (7p-7am). I have 4 aides there but if I went into labor I still could not legally leave until I got a replacement in there. Our management that is on call lives about a hour and half away. I have tried talking to some of the other nurses about coming in if I go into labor but everyone says they can't guarantee anything. My doctor said she can not take me off work unless she has a medical reason to do so. What would you do? I could quit but loose my maternity leave (6 weeks paid and guaranteed job back).
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:18 AM
2 days before my due date with middle son. Other 2 I wasn't working
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:19 AM
I'm an aid I worked until I went into labor. It was torture but at least I didn't go into labor while working.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:19 AM
Why did they induce you at 34:weeks?
cmjustice
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:19 AM
I'd keep working and hope that either you don't go into labor while you're at work or take comfort in the fact that your labor is likely going to take a lot longer than an hour and a half.

I'm 37.5 weeks and still working, though any day could be the day. I'm an attorney and still driving for all my cases in different counties (1-2 hours away). So far, so good.
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:22 AM
You can start your FMLA for pregnancy whenever you want. Your doctor is an idiot. And legally you can leave he exact moment you go into labor. Pregnancy is a disability and protected class. Your office is aware of your condition and your reasonable accommodation is that they provide a replacement nurse within 20 minutes of your labor OR they place you on leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:24 AM
Right when I went to the hospital with dd I was 39 weeks. I had to call off and explain to the manager that I wasnt coming in even if I got released and put on bed rest.

They kept bugging me and bugging me when I was going to take it I had to tell them that I'll stop working till in work up to my due date or get sent to the hospital.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:25 AM
My son was a twin and his twin had passed away at 25 weeks. I went septic at 34 weeks

Quoting PhantomRose88: Why did they induce you at 34:weeks?
bonberi
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:31 AM
I went until I gave birth with my first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:32 AM
All 3 of mine were less than 2 hrs (active labor)

Quoting cmjustice: I'd keep working and hope that either you don't go into labor while you're at work or take comfort in the fact that your labor is likely going to take a lot longer than an hour and a half.

I'm 37.5 weeks and still working, though any day could be the day. I'm an attorney and still driving for all my cases in different counties (1-2 hours away). So far, so good.
Arjpc
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:33 AM
I work until I go into labor. This is my 5th.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)