Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD moms come in here!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

My son is four, we've suspected all year (he's almost 5) that he may have adhd.... If you take the check list it's him in a nut shell... Emotionally he's driving me insane... I know that sounds mean in a way. I love my son I love him dearly but the older he gets the more out of control the more I seem to control it the worse it seems to get... I feel like if I take him to the doctor they wont say or do much because he's only 4 that's what I heard from someone whose son has ADHD... At first I thought he was just a hyper kid but it so much more then that... He can't even sit still long enough to eat dinner without either freaking out because I wouldn't let him get up an he'd get all fidgety or without getting up and walking around a bit and sitting down... Ichose my battle we let him get up and walk but he can't play and then come back to dinner...

I have his iep meeting for school on the 18th but from what I heard it's the doctor that I have to talk to first? 

I'm just so confused. I had adhd but my mom did more natural alternatives but their not working for him... =/ 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
First, breathe. It will be okay.

Go to his doctor and ask to be referred to a child psychologist, if possible one who specializes in adhd. If not that's okay. Go to the doctor, they will do some testing, have you and your child's teacher fill out some forms. If he is diagnosed you can go from there. My DD was diagnosed at 5. She's 9 now and we just switched from adderall to concerta. It's a member ending battle but you have to be his advocate and help him as much as you can.

There are alternatives to meds, EOs, supplements, etc. They are a worth a try before you go to meds.
amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:58 AM
He's too young. The kid has to be at least 5 or 6; where I live anyway. (That'd be too young for an official dx and meds, is what I mean.) Sorry this is so hard on you and on ds, too, of course. Maybe things are different where you live. Good luck to both of you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Calm down momma. I know it can be overwhelming.

You do need to talk to his doc as well. There is so much info out there that it can be overwhelming and scary. Then there are the naysayers who make you feel like you are doing something wrong by even looking into it. YOU know your child. You do what is best for you and your child. Whether that be to not medicate or to medicate. 

ksixberry2
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:03 AM
Chidlren cannot start meds til they are 6 yrs of age. My son was diagnosed 2 wks before his 6 bday. Ask your doctor for options. What you can do to help his behavior. My son got switched from aderall to concerta. Make sure you don't let them prescribe too much. It should only help at school and start wearing off about the time they get home. My son had horrible insomnia til we had it lowered. Gl
Mommie_2_Boys
by Steph on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:05 AM
Really?

Not here
My son is only 6 and has been on them for over a year

Maybe different rules different states ?

Quoting ksixberry2: Chidlren cannot start meds til they are 6 yrs of age. My son was diagnosed 2 wks before his 6 bday. Ask your doctor for options. What you can do to help his behavior. My son got switched from aderall to concerta. Make sure you don't let them prescribe too much. It should only help at school and start wearing off about the time they get home. My son had horrible insomnia til we had it lowered. Gl
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:07 AM
Incorrect. My son started meds right before he turned 5. He had been seeing a psych for 6 months at that point

Quoting ksixberry2: Chidlren cannot start meds til they are 6 yrs of age. My son was diagnosed 2 wks before his 6 bday. Ask your doctor for options. What you can do to help his behavior. My son got switched from aderall to concerta. Make sure you don't let them prescribe too much. It should only help at school and start wearing off about the time they get home. My son had horrible insomnia til we had it lowered. Gl
Mommie_2_Boys
by Steph on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:07 AM
It helps us a LOT when we limit red dye when possible

Also avoiding a lot of junk food and proxessed foods helps

When they are at MIL they come back off the wall cause he only feed themes junk and crap :(

I read two books
The elephant in the playroom
The adhd diet
They personally helped us :)

Good luck mama
ksixberry2
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:08 AM
Not incorrect. That's what my doctor did and by law she couldn't give him meds til then.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Incorrect. My son started meds right before he turned 5. He had been seeing a psych for 6 months at that point

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:09 AM
Lol ok. What state

Quoting ksixberry2: Not incorrect. That's what my doctor did and by law she couldn't give him meds til then.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Incorrect. My son started meds right before he turned 5. He had been seeing a psych for 6 months at that point

ksixberry2
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:09 AM
Yes. We had to wait til he turned 6.

Quoting Mommie_2_Boys: Really?

Not here
My son is only 6 and has been on them for over a year

Maybe different rules different states ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)