Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Little Worried...

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:14 AM
  • 50 Replies

I am 38 weeks pregnant and getting myself ready to go to the hospital, which includes making arrangements for who is going to take care of our many many many animals. My brothers and a friend of hubby's will be taking care of the livestock, which includes our horses. One of our horses is a very beautiful throughbred named Twister. She is a recent rescue, even though I have known her since she was born. As a teenager, I worked for her mother's owner. He sold her to someone whom he thought would give her a good home but she ended up abandoned (along with 7 other horses) on his property a few months ago. He knew I loved her so he offered her to me, so I took her, along with two others. She was pregnant at the time and due at any momen. She gave birth to a healthy foal a few days later.

Since we brought her home, her behavior has led me to believe that she was abused by her former owners. She is very anxious around strangers, especially men. She won't even let my husband ride her or do much else for her. She doesn't listen to him and she doesn't cooperate. When I'm around, she is friendly with him but, if he's alone with her, she becomes aggitated and extreamly protective of her foal. She is even worse with my brothers. For me, she is a dream: patient, calm, obedient, but I'm just nervous about how she is going to behave when I can't march my huge self out to the pasture to straighten her stubborn ass out. 

I guess I'm just worrying about everything since it's getting close. Mostly I'm ranting. 

That's Enough Baby Dust!

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltownteddy
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:15 AM
Poor baby, I'd be worried too.
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM

And, before anyone asks, there is no chance that my husband is mistreating her in any way. Same goes for my brothers. 

That's Enough Baby Dust!

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:28 AM

She won't go into the stall for him or some when she's called. I guess, worst case scenerio, she can stay in the pasture for a couple of days but it is cold outside and it could rain, and if if she is ok, what about the foal? I certainly don't want to leave the foal out in the pasture at night. A dog has already tried to attack her and that was in broad daylight with me standing right there. My brother hopes that maybe she will cooperate for my niece since she is used to her. We're also hoping that she will follow her sister (my other horse). 

Quoting smalltownteddy: Poor baby, I'd be worried too.

That's Enough Baby Dust!

bambismom
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Does she act like that around other women?  Is there a woman relative/friend that could care for her?  I know exactly how you feel.  Our family doesn't take many vacations because we worry too much about our goats and cattle at home. 

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM

She may cooperate for my niece. She is better with women but she isn't very comfortable with straners. My niece helps take care of them with me but She's only 7 and not really capable of handling a ornery horse. We're going to try it but I don't know how well she will do for her if I'm not there. 

Quoting bambismom:

Does she act like that around other women?  Is there a woman relative/friend that could care for her?  I know exactly how you feel.  Our family doesn't take many vacations because we worry too much about our goats and cattle at home. 

That's Enough Baby Dust!

smalltownteddy
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Maybe with the two of them she'll behave.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

She won't go into the stall for him or some when she's called. I guess, worst case scenerio, she can stay in the pasture for a couple of days but it is cold outside and it could rain, and if if she is ok, what about the foal? I certainly don't want to leave the foal out in the pasture at night. A dog has already tried to attack her and that was in broad daylight with me standing right there. My brother hopes that maybe she will cooperate for my niece since she is used to her. We're also hoping that she will follow her sister (my other horse). 

bambismom
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Yeah, that is a little young.  Certainly you would need somebody else very close by if she was going to help. 

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

She may cooperate for my niece. She is better with women but she isn't very comfortable with straners. My niece helps take care of them with me but She's only 7 and not really capable of handling a ornery horse. We're going to try it but I don't know how well she will do for her if I'm not there. 

Quoting bambismom:

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM
I hope so. I don't need to stress about her when I'm having a baby.

Quoting smalltownteddy: Maybe with the two of them she'll behave.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2015 at 8:26 AM

I would not do this at all. Sorry she is a child. To young. Don't do it.Quoting bambismom:

Yeah, that is a little young.  Certainly you would need somebody else very close by if she was going to help. 

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting bambismom:

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 8:27 AM
She would be supervised. We wouldn't just expect her to care for them by herself. We board a horse for her and she comes over after school and helps take care of her so she's used to horses but I wouldn't expect any child to handle any pet, much less a two thousand pound one by herself.

Quoting bambismom:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting bambismom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)