Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My confession... is this legal?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

I've been having this werd back pain for awhile.

I'm getting scared it might be something  serious like a spinal tumor.

I have been a SAHM for 9 years, I worked for several years prior to that.

I just realized if I became disabled I could not get SSDI because I haven't worked in 9 years! (You have to have worked at least 5 years in the past 10 years to qualify)

So, I am going to get disabililty insurance first before I go to a doctor to get it checked out.  I of course do not know for sure if it is a spinal tumor - could just be a pulled muscle, slipped disk whatever - but I want to be covered just in case.

Is that legal, to go out and buy it before you go to the doctor and know for sure that you have a condition?

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM

No clue. Bump.

MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM
What kind of back pain? Upper, lower?

I have no idea if that's legal or not. I've never carried disability insurance.
happymom629
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Upper left shoulder area.

Ibuprofen takes the edge off, but will not take it away completely.

Quoting MommyOfOne2710: What kind of back pain? Upper, lower? I have no idea if that's legal or not. I've never carried disability insurance.

MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Hmm. Have you tried a chiropractor? I see one for sciatica and joint problems in my left shoulder. He's worked wonders on me.

Quoting happymom629:

Upper left shoulder area.

Ibuprofen takes the edge off, but will not take it away completely.

Quoting MommyOfOne2710: What kind of back pain? Upper, lower?

I have no idea if that's legal or not. I've never carried disability insurance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:44 PM
I guess my only question is how can one get disability insurance without PROOF of said disability? So, not sure... but here's a bump.
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:44 PM

I wouldn't take my word for it because I don't know for sure, but I don't think that's illegal. I took out short term disability at work a few years back to cover some of my maternity leave... I knew I was planning on getting pregnant that year, but hadn't yet. That wasn't illegal, it's just being prepared. 

mommy2boys03
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:45 PM

I'm not sure if it's legal or not. however there maybe a clause in there about you having to have insurance for so long before they pay out or a reduced payment if you haven't had it for  long.  I know this isn't the same thing but a friend had a life insurance policy on her father.  He died before they had it a year or two years .  The result was it didn't pay much because he was under the time line.  

mommy2boys03
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:48 PM

It is insurance that pays if someone gets disabled.  Kind of like an extra layer of protection.  My husband has both long term and short term disablity through work.  When I worked I had it too.  It paid for my maternity leave for my oldest.  

Quoting Anonymous 1: I guess my only question is how can one get disability insurance without PROOF of said disability? So, not sure... but here's a bump.

1taximomhere
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM
Check to see if there is a health screening or waiting period. They may not pay out until you have the policy for a certain amount of time.
Arwyn724
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM

I could be wrong, but disability insurance is only available to those who have proof of income, because it's sole purpose is to protect your income when you are unable to work, thus your income would be at jeopardy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)