Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about SSI?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
So my ex convinced everyone he is crazy and now just got approved for SSI. Well, SSI apparently will pay me child support. Well, according to his mother, she will be in charge of the child support I get and will be only be giving me half of what they provide. When it actually starts being issued out, would it go to her or would it come to me? She says to save it for my kids.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Check with the Social Security folks.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM
Contact social security. I'm pretty sure she has no right to do that. You need to let them know the child lives with you. It sounds like maybe she is his payee & they are letting social security think the child is with him.
j3st3r
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
This. They might ask for proof, like a report card from school showing your address. Provide it.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Contact social security. I'm pretty sure she has no right to do that. You need to let them know the child lives with you. It sounds like maybe she is his payee & they are letting social security think the child is with him.
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:56 PM

If he's getting Disability the Child support they allow per child is a joke. If you have a court order for CS he still owes that amount to you every month unless he takes you to court to get it modified. Being on Disability does not excuse child support.

pendragon928
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:58 PM

If you have a child support order on file all you need to do is apply for withholding services from your county or state, whomever processes child support for your area.  They will determine that he is receiving income from SSI and determine what percentage or amount they can take from his payments based on your child support order and it will be deducted directly from his check before he or his mother even receives it.

darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM
If you do not get the full amount of child support ordered, take it to court as contempt. Until the order is lowered he is still responsible for the full amount.

There is a difference between ssi and ssdi. Ssi only pays to the disabled, not to the family. Ssdi has an added family benifit for minor children and some spouses. If you are the custodial parent, this benifit should be coming to you. Some states, this is above and beyond child support other states it takes place if child support.
simsgm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM
If she's over seeing your ex money his should go to her but child support would go to you she not aloud to decide how much you get.and if she doesn't give it all to you report her
GiorgiPorgi
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:27 PM
Well, she is taking advantage of her role as representative payee....

Her reasoning is flaky to say the least though. You are not the one in need of a representative payee, your ex is. His mom wants to pretend that he only needs the help because of you or something. That's her problem.

Talk to Social Security. Call them over the phone and maybe set an appointment with them. They can answer all of your questions regarding this matter.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)