Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What The H3LL! Why wont you just let him play!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:16 PM
  • 11 Replies
I had a "sleep over" last week with my step granddaughter (Im her only nana and she lives with us) shes 6, my son who is almost 4, and my SD friends son who is 8. So between both kids we have a fair amount of toys. So the kids were playing and my son runs by with a barbie in his hand pretending that the doll is flying like superman. And the friend looks at me and says "you let your son play with dolls?" I said "sure why not, hes engaged in imaginative play" and she replied "its a doll, a girls toy" I said "so. What do you think Spider-Man action figures are, or GI Joe. They are all dolls" and she just gave me this look like I sprouted a second head.
Well a couple mins goes by and her son comes running by with a Barbie the same way my son did and she yelled at her son to drop the doll and to quit acting gay! OMG! Really!!
I couldn't believe what I just heard. I was so stunned that she would say that to her son that I sat there probably looking like a fish with my mouth hanging open. My SD saw and heard what was going on and just shook her head. And before I could say something she turned to the friend and said ready to go. And they left. Well for the rest of the night I let the kids play with what ever toy they wanted to play with! Im still baffled by her comment! Are there people out there that ignorant?
Im not calling her stupid but ignorant. Ignorant to the fact that boys playing with a doll doesnt make them gay. I kinda feel sorry for her son to not have the freedom to play how ever he chooses to play! Im not saying she has to parent her son like me. She can raise him however she chooses but oh my word, To do that to your child who at 8 yo is very impressionable. Is this where fear mongering comes from? Stupid comments like that?
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dblhlx
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM
Yeah thats where it comes from. My dd who is 3 loves barbies princesses trucks cars and playing mechanic. Whats gonna happen? She becomes a mechanic?? Who cares as long as shes having funmm
rkkeller13
by Kristy on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM
My point exactly! My parents raised my brother and I to make our own choices. Growing up my older brother loved to tinker in the kitchen and I was fascinated with cars so I was always in the garage working on cars with my dad. My brother went on to culinary school and is a fantastic chef. And grew up being able to fix my own car and know when a mechanic is trying to take advantage of my (happens more often than you think) and neither one of us are gay.

Quoting dblhlx: Yeah thats where it comes from. My dd who is 3 loves barbies princesses trucks cars and playing mechanic. Whats gonna happen? She becomes a mechanic?? Who cares as long as shes having funmm
krazymom2boyz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM
What a sad thing to do to a little boy that's having fun. :( My boys play with dolls but only when their girl cousins are around. That's not my doing, I let them play with anything. They are the ones that decide what to pay with.
barnowl73
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM
Sadly there are people that are still that ignorant. pooe little boy.
rkkeller13
by Kristy on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM
It is sad. The look on his face spoke volumes!

Quoting krazymom2boyz: What a sad thing to do to a little boy that's having fun. :( My boys play with dolls but only when their girl cousins are around. That's not my doing, I let them play with anything. They are the ones that decide what to pay with.
rkkeller13
by Kristy on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM
Its sad and it angers me a bit. I say let them play with whatever as long as its age appropriate and not dangerous.

Quoting barnowl73: Sadly there are people that are still that ignorant. pooe little boy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:39 PM
I have dealt with this a lot in my years working in childcare. However, usually it's the dad's that are worse than the moms.
rkkeller13
by Kristy on Feb. 5, 2015 at 1:59 AM
Bump
rkkeller13
by Kristy on Feb. 5, 2015 at 9:56 PM
Bump
teri4lance
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 10:00 PM

I gave my son a cabbage patch baby to take care of when my dd was born he was 2 1/2. he pretended to change her diaper and feed her when I did it with dd. it was pretty funny when he tried to breast feed it tho lol. other than the breastfeeding - he wasn't doing anything his father woudln't do, and last time I checked, he's super not-gay. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)