Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I make the right decision? (money vs. time with kids)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

I was working two jobs as a young, 16 year old mom. Early graduate through online schooling. My son is 5 months old. I quit the more part time of the two because in the past 5 days I've seen my son for about a total of 8 hours (not sleeping). This leaves me with 5 days of work, between 6 and 10 hour shifts plus tips. The extra money would have been nice, but I feel like right now time with my son is more valuable.  For comparisons sake, this past week I worked 52 hours. This coming week, I'm working 30, plus at my newer job I make decent tips. I just need some reassurance that I'm not a complete idiot for choosing time with my son over money like some think. 

Background: I rent out a friend's basement, so I'm not living with my parents. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuietNarrative
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Time with a child can't be taken back, but there is always time to make money later.  As long as you can support yourself money shouldn't be the #1 thing ruling your life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:08 PM

BUMP!

SRUsarahSC
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM

I switched jobs to a wahm flex position within my company when I had kids.  It is considered a step back career wise but my babies are only babies once.  

jendawgrox2004
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM

I think you made a good call as long as you can still afford everything. If you wanted, you could see about online college classes when you are home and he is napping. Congrats on your little one!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

I think you made a good call as long as you can still afford everything. If you wanted, you could see about online college classes when you are home and he is napping. Congrats on your little one!

I've thought about it, but do you know if you can get financial aid for those?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
52 hours seems very normal. For me I would not want to only work 30 hours a week and need to live with other people.
tinybluemoon
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I think a big down fall of having a baby so young is the inability to see past the glory of instant gratification. Is time with your son more valuable if in a year or two you are going to have trouble keeping a room over his head? Is your current want more important than his future needs?

You need to look past the present and into the reality of the future. If you can honestly say that the path looks clear, by all means quit.

ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:22 PM
It's all about balance
CheerioHolder
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:25 PM
I think as long as you can afford what you need, you made the right choice. When you're older and looking back on life, you won't care what extra crap you had through the years. You'll be thinking about how you spent your time. I can't think of anything better to do with your time than spend it with your child! Life flies by and kids grow much faster than you can imagine. Enjoy your little one every moment you can!
MaryanneMac
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Only you know if it's the right decision.  If you feel it's right then it's right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)