Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schools in the south

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 136 Replies
Obviously school quality across a state can vary greatly, with some great and some awful schools in every state. I am from a northern state (Midwest specifically), and moved south about 10 years ago. The schools in the south seem, on the whole, not as good as schools in the north. To some extent, it seems the further south you go, the worse the schools get. Being a teacher, I have spent some time studying state standards for a few states in math (my subject area), and they seem to correlate with my observations.

We'll be moving to Florida in a few years. What are the schools like in Florida? Do you think schools in the south are generally not as good as those in the north?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:52 PM
Florida schools are awful. I would not teach at the middle or high school level unless I taught advanced classes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:55 PM
I'm more worried about dd, who will be in 10th grade by that time. That doesn't sound good though.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Florida schools are awful. I would not teach at the middle or high school level unless I taught advanced classes.
missanc
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:56 PM
I've never lived anywhere but raleigh NC, but having a huge influx of people moving here from NY/NJ, the kids that came in to our AG/AP classes (which were what I took) did not find them easy. I think that the more rural areas of NC might not have great schools but most adults around here are well educated and expect their kids to be as well.
Sorry I don't have any Florida advice!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:59 PM
I graduated from a south Florida school a year ago. Only 20% of my class went on to any kind of college. Freshman year, there were over 1000 kids. By graduation there were 512 of us.

If she can handle it, stick her in AP or honors courses, otherwise she'll deal with obnoxious kids and kids that are doing things you don't want her to do.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm more worried about dd, who will be in 10th grade by that time. That doesn't sound good though.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Florida schools are awful. I would not teach at the middle or high school level unless I taught advanced classes.
CountryMomma123
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:03 PM
Quoting Anonymous 1: Obviously school quality across a state can vary greatly, with some great and some awful schools in every state. I am from a northern state (Midwest specifically), and moved south about 10 years ago. The schools in the south seem, on the whole, not as good as schools in the north. To some extent, it seems the further south you go, the worse the schools get. Being a teacher, I have spent some time studying state standards for a few states in math (my subject area), and they seem to correlate with my observations.

We'll be moving to Florida in a few years. What are the schools like in Florida? Do you think schools in the south are generally not as good as those in the north?

Where in Florida are you moving to? I live in Tallahassee and there are a few good high school and middle schools like the one my 12 year old goes to. Do not move to Monticello Florida as there only one grade school and a middle/high school combo and they are the worst ever. I believe there are 20 schools total in Tallahassee it self and that is a lot.

CountryMomma123
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:06 PM

That is were u are wrong. Not all of them are awful as u say. It also depends on were u live as well. The ones were I am at are good schools.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:06 PM

When I was little, we moved from Maine to South Carolina.  The school I went to in SC was way behind my curriculum in Maine.  I was eventually home schooled.

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM

I guess it depends on the county, but my mom taught english at the high school level and it was nothing but beurocracy and catering to the standardized tests because their paychecks depended on it.  They, quite literally, lost 2/3 of their english department before the current school year started because of power plays and bullshit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:09 PM
I'm hoping somewhere near Clearwater, but not sure yet.

Quoting CountryMomma123:
Quoting Anonymous 1: Obviously school quality across a state can vary greatly, with some great and some awful schools in every state. I am from a northern state (Midwest specifically), and moved south about 10 years ago. The schools in the south seem, on the whole, not as good as schools in the north. To some extent, it seems the further south you go, the worse the schools get. Being a teacher, I have spent some time studying state standards for a few states in math (my subject area), and they seem to correlate with my observations.

Where in Florida are you moving to? I live in Tallahassee and there are a few good high school and middle schools like the one my 12 year old goes to. Do not move to Monticello Florida as there only one grade school and a middle/high school combo and they are the worst ever. I believe there are 20 schools total in Tallahassee it self and that is a lot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:10 PM
Did you attend school in the area you live in now when you were a child?

Quoting CountryMomma123:

That is were u are wrong. Not all of them are awful as u say. It also depends on were u live as well. The ones were I am at are good schools.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)