Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grrr- she cant MAKE us keep them, can she? *ETA

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:24 PM
  • 46 Replies

When my fiance left his ex, he took their cats until she found a place. She was supposed to pick them up before Christmas, but it got pushed back to March. No biggy.

HOWEVER, these cats are HORRIBLE. They are not fixed... they peed all over their son's bed (that we have to replace now), scratched into a box (causing a huge hole and damage to his companies product), sprayed all over the house, put holes in our bedroom door because we lock them out at night (they try to climb the door), climb into the kitchen cabinets and knock glasses out....

She just informed us that she cant take them until NEXT year now. We told her no way. We gave her 2 weeks to find them another temporary home or we would rehome them for her. She said that was fine..

2 weeks have gone by and she hasnt even TRIED to find them home. She said she didnt believe us when we said we were going to rehome them. Now she is throwing a fit and cussing him out because we promised to keep them for her. He pointed out to her that he was only supposed to have them until Christmas and that if she wants us to keep them, she can pay for all of the damages.

Well, that was a no go. So I posted them on a pet rehoming site. She is livid. We just dont know what to do anymore. We praise them and give them A TON of attention when they are doing something good, and we use a spray bottle to get them away from bad habits per the vet reccomendation. They just dont care and continue destroying things.

ETA: Im not sure why it matters, but my fiance and his ex were broken up for almost a year before we got together. We have been together 8 months now. I moved in with him right before Christmas. Yes, we are engaged. We've known each other since we were 12, so its not like I dont KNOW him.  Yes, he's had the cats for almost 2 years. 

Now as for the cats... We found a low cost spay/neuter program. They are "fixing" cats for 15 dollars. We are taking them and seeing if it will calm them down.  Thanks to the couple of ladies on here who were actually helpful, we are going to go out to Petco this weekend and see if we can find another scratching post. We have one, but they dont seem to like it. 

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LisaRoyNKaden
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:59 PM

bump

shorty00207450
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:03 PM

find them a new home. She cant do anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:04 PM
How long have yall had them?
kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:05 PM
Who cares what she thinks? I mean, she was probably doing this on purpose all along anyways.
darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Just to CYA legally, I would make sure you send her notice in writing that she has until such date to pick up cats or she will lose her rights and they will be rehomed as you see fit.
Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:05 PM

How many cats?  Are they her cats?  Or do they belong to your fiance's child?

LilysMama719
by Emmy on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have rehomed them the second they peed somewhere in my house. She would have had 24 hours to get them, and then she would be out of luck. Cat pee is disgusting!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Nobody is going to want those cats. Tell her if they aren't gone by Sunday they are being put down first thing Monday! Nasty!

LilysMama719
by Emmy on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:08 PM
How do they get into your cabinets?
chicklopez
by ItsFunnierInEnochian on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:10 PM

you kept them longer than I would have. hopefully they will be out of your hair soon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)