Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what happens when the herd is no longer immune?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
Ok so let's say more than half of everyone stops vaxxing. What actually happens then? I'm not asking to be a smart ass or anything else, but this truly the only question I have about vaccinations that I find hard to get answered. I feel silly not already knowing, but please explain to me herd immunity and what happens when it's gone?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:03 PM
Half of people already are unvaxed. Most adults don't have boosters. Herd immunity only applies with immunity obtained from catching the actual disease. So you're looking at what happens now.
tinybluemoon
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:04 PM
Look up polio. That's what happens. Unfortunately American parents these days don't remember how horrifying polio really is. It makes mumps look like the common cold.
cookiemonster77
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Without looking it up I would guess the disease would spread so rampant among the unvaccinated people it would mutate into a super - bug and those that were vaccinated against it originally now have to face an entirely new disease that can smack down their vaccination and make them sick. 

Only this time it would be stronger, possibly more deadly, more resistant to vaccines

the end

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)