Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What am I doing wrong as a pet owner?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

I use to be very anti-pit bulls, I was convinced by the media that they could flip like a light switch and turn aggressive. Then, I started dating a guy who loved pitbulls, and we adopted Buster. He was a mastiff pit and seriously the most amazing dog ever. I loved him so much. We had to stay at a hotel, and he pushed past my little sister and attacked, and almost killed, a 2 month old puppy. He was deemed aggressive and I had to surrender him to a rescue, or he would have been taken to the shelter, with boarding fees I couldn't afford, and possibly put down. He was taken to a shelter, and the owner of the rescue ended up keeping him. He wasn't mean to other dogs, my mom had 3 pugs and he loved them, and I had a maltese, and other does that would come into the yard, he would bark but never attack. He was couped up in a hotel, and it was way to cold to take him and the kids out for a walk. I take the blame for this incident. After losing Buster, I went to the shelter and adopted a catahula pitbull mix. When I adopted him, my mom ended up falling in love and adopting a dog from the shelter, and they got along great. They played in the yard at the shelter while we were filing out paper work, and they got along great in the car. He wasn't crazy about my maltese, but they just kind of ignored each other. Then, he ended up attacking my maltese while my 8 year old sister was holding my maltese. So I ended up taking him back to the shelter too. I know how to properly introduce them, although my dog and my moms dog was kinda thrown in the car together shortly after meeting due to the circumstances but i took my matlese and patchs to the park, it wasn't until days later that the attack happened at my house, and by attack i don't mean just snapping at him, i mean full out attack that had to get stitched up. 

I exersize my dogs, we walk 3-5 miles a day (weather permitting), they go everywhere with me, we played fetch, they get kongs and other dogs to chew and play with, they have a huge yard to run around, they go with us to the park daily when its warm enough, they get love and attention, i don't hit my dogs. 

I've since adopted a golden retriever, and he fits in perfect, gets along great, hes my best friend. 

but i beat myself up over buster and patches, the two that i had adopted and had to rehome. 

i don't blame the pitbull breed, they were great dogs, i blame myself, but i really don't know what i am doing wrong. 

any advice from dog lovers? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
babygirlsmom314
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:51 PM
If you don't know the dog's back ground It is hard to say why both dogs did what they did. I think it would be different if You had them since they were puppies. Pit bulls are hard dogs to have. I wouldn't beat myself up if i was you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:51 PM
You should watch Cesar Milan. Usually it's something the owner is doing wrong. The dog senses your stress and feels the need to protect you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Quoting babygirlsmom314: If you don't know the dog's back ground It is hard to say why both dogs did what they did. I think it would be different if You had them since they were puppies. Pit bulls are hard dogs to have. I wouldn't beat myself up if i was you.

I didn't have either since they were young.

Buster was 4 and patches was 2 or 3.

I'm not allowed to have unhousebroken animals in my house (rental) or I would have got puppies after both incidents. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)