Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE - My 12-year old was invited to a birthday party involving CAMPING - what would you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 12-year old daughter was invited to a birthday party this weekend.  I have met the girls' parents once--at a Halloween party they had last fall.

The birthday party will be the beach (the ocean) . . . and they will be camping overnight. It'll be girls-only.

Would you let your 12-year old daughter go to an overnight camping party at the ocean with a few other girls and the birthday girls' parents as chaperones?  The parents will be sleeping in a camper.  The girls will be sleeping in two tents.

I feel extremely nervous about the idea, but I am not a camper. 

And I also happen to know that the campground where they'll be staying is right next to the highway and is frequently the target of thieves who strike in the middle of the night when people are sleeping.  (Some friends of mine had a bicycle stolen while everyone slept in tents just feet away.)

What would you do?  Would you let your daughter go?  (I have the option of just picking her up at 8 PM.) 

UPDATE:  We decided to let her go and camp overnight if she really wants to . . . and she does.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your thoughts about this!  I appreciate it!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser SΓΆze on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:40 AM

I would, it sounds fun.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:42 AM
According to my kids, I'm super over protective so I would probably pick her up at 8.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Why not? Give her the option of going, and allow her to make the decision. We all know that MOST child abduction/molestation situations are done by someone who KNOWS the child. Stranger attacks are few and between. Give her the tools to make it a safe trip for herself - go to the bathroom in groups of 3; let someone know what you are doing at all costs (preferably the adults) and remind her that at any time she can ring you to come home. I would also have a chat to the parents and ask about supervision - but I feel that you and her cannot live her life in fear of what COULD happen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:13 PM

You're probably right.  I have watched way too many "true crime" shows!

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Why not? Give her the option of going, and allow her to make the decision. We all know that MOST child abduction/molestation situations are done by someone who KNOWS the child. Stranger attacks are few and between. Give her the tools to make it a safe trip for herself - go to the bathroom in groups of 3; let someone know what you are doing at all costs (preferably the adults) and remind her that at any time she can ring you to come home. I would also have a chat to the parents and ask about supervision - but I feel that you and her cannot live her life in fear of what COULD happen.

hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:14 PM
Let her go. It sounds like a great experience she will be sad to miss.
AnonyMinnie
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:16 PM

I think it sounds ok. Just keep in contact with her, to make you both more comfortable. Text her here and there if you're concerned lol. Doesn't seem like a bad thing though and she seems plenty old enough.

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:17 PM

I would ask her if she wants me to start packing for her now lol! I would also make sure she has all of the necessary gear and a cell phone to take. Plus remind her of the rules in terms of both camping and the beach. 

MicheleJM
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:18 PM

I would.  Ds11 is in scouts.  He has camped with the boys before.  In fact both he and ds14 have gone away for a week camping.

JayTee80
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:20 PM

I'd let her stay over as long as you trust the parents to properly supervise.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:20 PM
Probably not the popular answer but no. Id let her go to a party for a couple of hours, but not camping.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)