Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This might sound selfish. UPDATE with email from mom.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
My husband is currently away at basic training for 8 weeks. We're expecting our first child about 4 weeks after he graduates. I'm stressing out about his graduation because both sets of his parents plan to come. His mom and step dad and his dad and step mom. They don't get along. From what I understand, they only get about 8 hours of free time total after their graduation. I'm worried about how he's going to be able to spend time with people who refuse to be around each other. And considering he isn't even allowed to spend the night with me, I'm kind of upset that it doesn't seem like we will get any time just us. I don't know if that's selfish to say, but I am his wife.

Email response from his mother just now:

Well we all did alright at your wedding. We'll be able to behave if that's what you mean. You're going to be very pregnant. You'll probably be grateful to go see him graduate, have a meal together and then go and lay down.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:35 AM
Bump.
Bennett121
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:41 AM
Why did he join at this point in your life? Seems like really bad timing. I guess its better for you to get used to it now.
copasetic1
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:43 AM

NOT selfish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:43 AM
Your comment literally has nothing to do with my post. He joined last June. I ended up getting pregnant in August and they didn't have a spot for him to go to basic until January.

Quoting Bennett121: Why did he join at this point in your life? Seems like really bad timing. I guess its better for you to get used to it now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:45 AM
It would just be kind of nice you know after being apart for 2 months to be able to spend some quality alone time with my hubby if you know what I mean. I'm actually really upset about it. Not to mention that it's going to be virtually impossible for him to appease everyone that day seeing as he has such limited time.

Quoting copasetic1:

NOT selfish.

ADLE
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Then he needs to grow some balls and tell his parents that in that time frame they need to be civil to each other or leave or you know what you can do that as well. You tell them he only has 8 hours to spend with everyone and everyone is gonna spend some of that as an entire family or they don't need to be there. I tell my husband's family and friends that every time my husband is on leave and we go home.
copasetic1
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:51 AM

Sounds like they will just act like fools and make everyone miserable. If they had any class, they'd visit for an hour, then leave. Of course you want some time together, you love each other. Good luck, and best wishes for the baby, and his military service. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: It would just be kind of nice you know after being apart for 2 months to be able to spend some quality alone time with my hubby if you know what I mean. I'm actually really upset about it. Not to mention that it's going to be virtually impossible for him to appease everyone that day seeing as he has such limited time.
Quoting copasetic1:

NOT selfish.

Bennett121
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:52 AM
It has everything to do with it. You are worried about spending time with him after he's been gone for 8 wks. What happens when he is deployed for months? I'm just pointing out that you are already stressing out over your quality time with him and he's only been gone 8wks.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Your comment literally has nothing to do with my post. He joined last June. I ended up getting pregnant in August and they didn't have a spot for him to go to basic until January.

Quoting Bennett121: Why did he join at this point in your life? Seems like really bad timing. I guess its better for you to get used to it now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:54 AM

He either needs to tell them to not come...or if he is unable to do that-give them the wrong date-and then call them last minute and say  he got the date wrong and it is in an hour..(just kidding-but that would work!)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:58 AM
I know. It just already sounds like a mess and I wish I would get some alone time with him as well.

Quoting ADLE: Then he needs to grow some balls and tell his parents that in that time frame they need to be civil to each other or leave or you know what you can do that as well. You tell them he only has 8 hours to spend with everyone and everyone is gonna spend some of that as an entire family or they don't need to be there. I tell my husband's family and friends that every time my husband is on leave and we go home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)