Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let them walk alone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
My oldest two are 7 and 6. They bus stop is less than 2 blocks away. Would you let them walk there alone in the mornings?

My issue is I won't know if they got on the bus safely or not. School won't call until almost noon if they didn't make it. That's 3 hours from the time they leave.

Walking home alone, I know when they should be home, so if they are late, I would know immediately.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_Boho
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
It all depends on your area and the maturity of your kids. My kids always did, but that's my kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM
I should mention, tthere are two routes they could take. One way, we know everyone in evert house they would pass. The other is a trail behind the house (not wooded, no hiding areas) and then along a dead end street to the stop.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM
No, probably not at that age.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM
No I wouldn't
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:42 AM
Yes
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM
I wouldn't.
myflowerasd
by 💖~Skunk~💖 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM
I wouldn't. I would walk with them everyday, to get that peace of mind that they made it on the bus. Unless you can see the bus stop from your house. Then I might let them.
Emycf
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM
In my neighborhood only if it was a straight shot from the house so I could not-so-stealthily watch from my yard.
BoogsBun
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Nope I wouldn't. When DS1 was in Kindergarten, there was an attempted kidnapping at our old apartment complex, then a few more during the year.

Then this year, we got a call from DS1 school, saying that there was some creepy dude, asking kids if they wanted a ride to school. The kids told the bus driver as soon as they got on the bus, cops were called, creepy dude was found.

I barely trust my kids, I trust strangers even less.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM

I would wait another year or two, until the are 7 and 8. Most likely nothing would happen, but there is just no rush or reason to risk it. My son is seven and his rule is he can play on his own outside, but he has to stay within sight distance of the end of the driveway unless he has someone older with him and has gotten permission from us. I keep the same rule for walking to the school bus. His bus stop used to be within view of our driveway, so I let him walk alone and I would watch from the end of the driveway, but then they moved it a couple of blocks away, so now he does not go on his own unless our house guest is with him, who is 14 and goes to the same school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)