Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of GIFTED or EXCEPTIONAL children...come in here! I have questions!!!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:21 AM
  • 27 Replies
So I went to parent teacher conferences about 2 weeks ago. My oldest DS is 10 and in 4th grade and his teacher asked me if I would sign a paper giving the school permission to have DS tested for the schools gifted program. He is the only kid in his class who consistently pulls 100% on his math tests. He is super smart and is always thinking outside the box. They also want to get him a 504 plan. He was diagnosed with ADHD in kindergarten. We choose not to medicate, so his teacher thinks a 504 plan will help. He doesn't have behavior issues, or problems doing the work...his problem is harnessing his brain and getting his work done in a timely manner. His ADHD is not severe and can be managed, but she worries that his problems with focusing on the task, and only the task will hinder him when it comes time for standardized testing.

My questions are:
What does gifted testing entail?
Will it include an IQ test?
Will being in a gifted program allow him to maintain the status quo when it comes to relationships with his classmates?
What does a 504 plan do for him, exactly?
Does your gifted child have a diagnosis of ADHD, OCD or Autism?
Would it be a better help to DS if I do medicate (what is YOUR experience?)
Did you choose to remain in the public school system or did you opt for private education?
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissusCleaver
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:24 AM
Bump
MissusCleaver
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:29 AM
I want to clarify that I am not jumping to conclusions here, DS's teacher was very excited about the possibility of DS getting into this program. There are many opportunities for him. I signed the paper for him to be tested, but I'm wondering if I should have him tested privately as well. My DH was in gifted classes in school and is ridiculously intelligent. He is one of the ones that slipped through the cracks though. I don't want that to happen to DS and want to help him achieve as much as possible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:30 AM
I have a gifted kid but no diagnosis for any sn. Ill be back later to fill in more detail. On mobile right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:31 AM
I don't have gifted children, but I was in a gifted program as a child. I had some great educational opportunities, but overall, I regret participating. I just wanted to be a normal child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:32 AM
My sd was in the gifted program, and I'm a teacher, so I have sent kids through the process as well. What tests they give him will be up to the school. NNAT or OLSAT are some examples of what we give here. What type of program they offer is also dependent on the school. They could do a pull - out thing where he goes for something special separate from the rest of the class once or a few times a week. They could put him in a separate class or even a new school. Whatever came of the testing, whether or not he participates in the options they offer would be your choice. Although I don't know why you wouldn't want him to do it.

In my sd's case, she was diagnosed with adhd/odd but after she came to live with my dh and i I, we straightened her out a bit and they dropped the diagnoses. So I wouldn't probably say they were very accurate to begin with - though sometimes I do feel like she doesn't like to focus and her mind wanders. And although she tested as gifted, and I do think she's a bright child, she's starting to struggle with the higher level classes as she's gotten into 8th grade. We kept her in the gifted classes not exactly because we thought they were at the right academic level for her, but because we knew they would stretch her and mostly because the children in those classes are usually better behaved and the classroom environment is better. That's a big deal for us because the schools here aren't very good overall.

As far as the 504, I personally probably wouldn't do it. But I'm resistant to labels and things like that unless absolutely necessary. Other people may have a different opinion. A 504 is a lot simpler than an IEP, though.
MissusCleaver
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:34 AM
I think DS ADHD has a lot to do with how smart he is. He just can't shut his brain down. He's constantly thinking, constantly moving. He's always drawing up an idea for something or asking questions about how thinks work. Its hard for him to focus on one thing and just one thing.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have a gifted kid but no diagnosis for any sn. Ill be back later to fill in more detail. On mobile right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I don't know because i won't have my daughter tested. She's exceptionally smart, but i think gifted programs need an overhaul. Good luck.

dorfmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:39 AM
My 3rd daughter is identified as gifted. The testing the school did included an IQ Test. She does have speech apraxia, but that was treated with intense speech therapy over many years. My daughter is in 5th grade and middle school this year. She has one block each day in her gifted class. Otherwise, she is with her regular class. In elementary school, she had a 1/2 day of gifted twice a week. She absolutely loves having it every day. She also really enjoys her regular classes. Our middle school teaches in teams. Her team is comprised of all gifted and high achieving kids, which I originally thought was not a good idea, but am now thrilled. There were a lot of issues in elementary school where she was bored because the teacher had to keep going over the same concepts again and again, which is great for the Kids who are struggling, but was frustrating for my daughter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Each State/District is going to have their own testing requirements.  Ask for an outline of the testing procedure 

We have a gifted and ADHD child.  Gifted and ADHD behaviors can mirror each other. We have to use medication.   He has a 504 plan because of some other issues, his gifted abilities are the strongest in communication but the ADHD can cause some bumps with his writing thoughts down and organization.  

504 can help to make sure all his teachers are on the same page.  I find it useful.  

We stayed in the public education, but we did move to a better district.  

MissusCleaver
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:41 AM
His teacher said he doesn't need an IEP because he doesn't have a severe learning disability. I'm not familiar with any of these things because we have never pushed the ADHD thing much. We have been firm with not medicating, we want him to be a normal kid and not feel like he can't do something because he has a "diagnosis". We also don't want him to feel that he has to take a pill to be able to think clearly. We want him to be able to do that naturally, and it can be done...he just needs the right tools.
As far as I know the plan is to keep him in his current school, as far as the gifted program goes. I will find out more within the next few weeks..

Quoting Anonymous 3: My sd was in the gifted program, and I'm a teacher, so I have sent kids through the process as well. What tests they give him will be up to the school. NNAT or OLSAT are some examples of what we give here. What type of program they offer is also dependent on the school. They could do a pull - out thing where he goes for something special separate from the rest of the class once or a few times a week. They could put him in a separate class or even a new school. Whatever came of the testing, whether or not he participates in the options they offer would be your choice. Although I don't know why you wouldn't want him to do it.

In my sd's case, she was diagnosed with adhd/odd but after she came to live with my dh and i I, we straightened her out a bit and they dropped the diagnoses. So I wouldn't probably say they were very accurate to begin with - though sometimes I do feel like she doesn't like to focus and her mind wanders. And although she tested as gifted, and I do think she's a bright child, she's starting to struggle with the higher level classes as she's gotten into 8th grade. We kept her in the gifted classes not exactly because we thought they were at the right academic level for her, but because we knew they would stretch her and mostly because the children in those classes are usually better behaved and the classroom environment is better. That's a big deal for us because the schools here aren't very good overall.

As far as the 504, I personally probably wouldn't do it. But I'm resistant to labels and things like that unless absolutely necessary. Other people may have a different opinion. A 504 is a lot simpler than an IEP, though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)