Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going prom instead of helping her family...wdyt?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 125 Replies
this happened last year and it's still a sore spot. My niece and my sister and bil barely speak.

They were going through a horribly rough time. They had one family car on its last legs, their credit cards were maxed out. My sister was working minimum wage and my bils hours were cut. My niece worked through high school as a tutor and model to save up money and she was buying stuff up for prom, including a $300 dress, the $60 ticket, a $50 spot in a limo and $400 to go to a beach house with friends after.

Three weeks before prom their only car broke down. No one had the money to lend them for the$800 repairs except her - if she returned the prom dress and cancelled the trip. She flat out refused. My bil and sister both lost their jobs when they couldn't come in, and her siblings were eating pbj and apples only for weeks.

She moved out right after prom because they called her selfish. She started modelling full time so she was making good money but wasn't sending any to her parents. They barely speak now.

Wdyt? Were they on the wrong for guilting her or should she have offered? Our whole family has been split on this and my sister was devastated
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:14 AM
Marking my spot.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:14 AM
25 moms liked this
Maybe she SHOULD have, but she shouldn't HAVE to.

They're adults, they're her parents. They should be caring for her, not the other way around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:15 AM
It's the parents responsibility. The bill should have gotten another job or a second job once his hours got cut.
Momeficient
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:16 AM
6 moms liked this
No she shouldn't have offered. Her parents hardships should not fall on her and she deserved to go to her prom.

If anyone is selfish here, it's the parents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this
No it isnt her job! Parents should of gotten off their butts and fixed it themselves not have their child do the work for them. She earned that money. And then she got into modeling and she's mad that her Dd didnt send them money??

I really hope youre kidding cause your sister and bil sound pretty shitty as parents
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this

Ugh! It's time for "selfish" teens using their own money and entitled teens demanding money for prom already??? 

singing ~~~~ troll-la-la-la, la-la-la-la ~~~~

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM

They were totally wrong for attempting to make her feel guilty.

Prom is very special to many high school students, and this child earned her own money to afford the things she wanted for that special night.

She cannot be held accountable for the problems her parent's were going through. Life...happens, and yes, it can be shitty but that child probably needed that special night in her life even more due to the circumstances at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM
8 moms liked this
I bet letting her drunk roommates wake up her 7 year old brother this weekend didn't help matters.
TraceEvidence
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I think that these posts are getting old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:18 AM
4 moms liked this

Fuck yeah she gets to refuse, she worked for that. And the shit heads guilting them now deserve nothing from her. You raise and support children, they don't support you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)