Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to gain custody of a child that's not biologically yours

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

So make a long story short, Fiances sister is a unfit mom. drug use and alcohol use. Her daughter is 6 ( the same age of our daughter) shes has been going from house to house, now finally has gotten her own apartment through the government. Today she texts me a bunch of texts stating that she will kill herslf. I take these threats seriously. I want to speak to my DF about taking her in temp. what are the steps I need to go through in order for this to occur?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:18 AM

If you take them seriously then call the police so they can go check on her.  

Nicole_2007
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:20 AM
Call the police and cps. Show them the text messages
EponineVader
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

First off did you call the cops to about the threats? have you or someone else gone to check on her? that would be what needs to be done before you start worring about custody,,,, Plus where is this childs father?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Call the police to do a welfare check and worry about grabbing her child later! 

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM

You need to tell someone about the threats. As for the kid, if the dad isn't in the picture, they will try to place the child with family first. Since your fiance is her brother, they may allow it. 

2kids2dogs2cats
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I would get married for starters (this will look better to the court)

I would ask the mom to make you all gaudians of the kid, surely she understands that the child has no life. 

I imagine you need to call CPS, but if something isn't set up, the poor kid will go to foster care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:50 AM
I contacted ACS. Anonymous tip. The father disappeared around conception. My DF don't rly speak with her as she burned her bridge a long time ago. My only concern is for her daughter. As for the threats, I do take them seriously. That's why I contacted ACS as soon as I read them. She's not at all a responsible parent. I would never in a million years want to take away someone else's child, but I have tried over the years to help her, and her main concern is hooking up with men and drinking and doing drugs. I'm done. I just feel so horrible for her daughter. And our wedding date is fast approaching.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)