Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EDIT Who is responsible when ice flies off a car?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM
  • 70 Replies

This happened 2 hours ago. I was driving down the road with my 3 year old. A Mercedes came flying by us and hit an icy spot on the road. As he was sliding, the entire ice chunk from the top of his car flew back and smashed our windshield. He had not bothered to remove any ice from his vehicle. We were traveling at least 3 car lengths away. He sped off without seeing if we were ok. Our deductible is only $100 so we aren't worried about the cost. I know some states have laws indicating that it is each person's responsibility to make sure their car is clear of debris. This guy's car was obviously a hazard and luckily only caused damage to our vehicle. People have been killed by ice flying off cars. What are your thoughts on this? Morally? Legally? Has anyone ever had this happen? Did the person stop to make sure you were ok?

Edit: I did not get his license plate. He sped away as soon as he regained control of his car. I sped up to try to get the license plate number. He sped up even more and was gone. I was driving our Town and Country. It doesn't have a lot of pick up. Also, the glass started falling into the car and I had to pull over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know. It's not an item that flung off his car (hub cap or something unsecured), but rather part of nature. Ask your insurance company if you should file a hit and run police report? Or call the non emergency police line to see what they say?

That's really scary though.
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Considering you can't sue Mother Nature or Old Man Winter, I have always assumed the person who did not properly de-ice their car before getting on the road would be liable. Sucks he sped off, did you get his plate? I would be so angry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:44 AM
It should be them but without witnesses or them admitting it, you'll be liable.
Rubberbiscuit
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM

He should be responsible.  You can get ticketed here (MA) for not removing snow and ice from the top of your vehicle.  Did you get a license plate?

DeeDee_28
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM
The driver would be held liable for that. In my town, you will get a nice fine if you don't clean your car off properly.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:47 AM
He should be responsible, but did you get his plates?
kappalopokis
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:48 AM
I think he should be responsible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:48 AM
People are idiots that do not scrap and or defrost their windows. The guy that sped off is reliable. Call your car insurance company and ask to file a hit and run report.
donnag013
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Yet another thing this gal from Florida has never heard of. Wow.

erin708
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Our state they would be responsible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)