Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you take this? Insulting or helpful? *update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

There are new neighbours in my building, they are refugees from Syria.  It's a very nice couple with a teenage daughter, she speaks a bit english, the parents don't,  they are all very nice people.  

Their clothes aren't that great, they are clean, but not very warm or fashionable.  The daughter, she's about 16yrs old, wears hijabs with rips and loose threads in the scarfs, the jacket is light, and she is wearing running shoes.  It's canada, and we have a couple feet of snow outside with -30C temps.    Plus I remember high school, kids can be mean about dumb things like clothes.

I was thinking of buying her a good pair of boots, a warm jacket and a few nice scarves and pins for her hijab.  

I really can't imagine being forced out of my country and having to move away with nothing into a new foreign place.   I just want to make things a wee bit better for them and make them feel welcome.

Would that be stepping over and being weird?  I don't want to creep them out, I just want to help them a bit.

UPDATE

thank you to DenHag, whose advice I took. I asked and the mom, daughter and I are going shopping together this weekend. It worked out much better than just giving them the stuff :)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
semazani
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM
I would talk with them first.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:03 PM

I think you should talk to them first. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:04 PM

the parents don't speak english, I'm not even sure how to really begin that conversation

Quoting semazani: I would talk with them first.

DensHag
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:04 PM
What about giving the girl a gift card or offer to take her shopping...tell her in the climate they are now in she needs some warm clothes and you would be honored to buy her some things.

Or maybe offer her a coat and then tell her you would love to buy her some things. All they can say is no.
FrumpyPigSkin
by Don't Burn The Pig on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Invite them over for tea and talk with them first.
greenlove2013
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Talk to the daughter and ask her to ask her parents.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this

bring gifts for everyone as a "welcome neighbor" thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this

That's a great idea

Quoting DensHag: What about giving the girl a gift card or offer to take her shopping...tell her in the climate they are now in she needs some warm clothes and you would be honored to buy her some things. Or maybe offer her a coat and then tell her you would love to buy her some things. All they can say is no.

semazani
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this
The daughter could play go between. No different than speaking with anyone else who does speak your language. Make eye contact with the parents when talking......even when the daughter is translating.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

the parents don't speak english, I'm not even sure how to really begin that conversation

Quoting semazani: I would talk with them first.

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

i don't know much about the syrian culture. i would think it was a wonderful gesture!

here's a bump for the syrians out there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)