Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't think "partying" should stop just because you have children.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM
  • 29 Replies
3 moms liked this

I don't know if "partying" is the word I would use, but it seemed fitting to draw you in.

I don't think because you have children you shouldn't go out and have a good time. I have a 6 year old DD. Next month, I'm going to a Bad Religion concert. The show starts at 8pm and it's on a weeknight, so I decided to just take the following day off and hire an overnight sitter. That way I can finish the show and not feel like I have to rush back so the sitter can go home. And yes, I'll probably drink during the show.

I see all of the time on here people say that they can't go out because they had kids and "grew up". To me it seems like a cop out for someone who maybe just isn't very fun. Personlly, I don't feel guilty whatsoever. I don't feel like, "Oh, but you're a parent and that's inappropriate". Being a mother is one part of my life. It's not all that I am.

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:04 PM
I agree, it's stupid to think you should never go out because you have kids
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I completely agree with you. As long as the parents aren't out getting drunk every night and neglecting their kids I dont see a problem.

I go out on occasion with friends. I personally dont drink, but we will go to bar's or clubs sometimes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:13 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with going out and doing something without your kids sometimes.  That's good for the parents and the kids.

However, I do have a problem with people who spend pretty much ALL of their free time and disposable income on "partying" without their kids.  If you pawn your kids off on other people all weekend, every weekend so you can go out and get smashed, then why did you even have kids in the first place?  Parents should actually enjoy spending time with their kids and should make doing things with them a priority.  Their whole childhood shouldn't be spent having out with grandparents or sitters while Mom is out clubbing.

firespurity
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:13 PM
I agree. I enjoy concerts, so I still go.
2kids2dogs2cats
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM

I agree 100% with you.

Being a good spouse/partner is as important as being a good mommy!

That being said, it is probably a good idea to put the bong up when your kids are home (JK)

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM
Yep. I still dig a good concert.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM

I think there is a difference between going out to a concert and having a few drinks and getting knock down drunk and making a fool of yourself or doing something inappropriate. I also think there's moderation. If you are away from your kids more than you are with them, why have them? 

jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM
Going out and enjoying yourselves is important! For me though... My party included excessive drinking and questionable clubbing behaviour.. lol those days are long gone. :) dh and I have our dinner and/or movie dates.... And take the kiddos out for fun day events.
GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM

I'm in my late 30's and my kids are in their late teens. I haven't gone out "partying" in many many years but going to concerts and things like that really aren't a big deal. I flew to an Eminem/Rihanna concert a few months ago and had a blast for that weekend.

I think as long as you aren't going out every weekend and leaving your kids with someone while you party and then stay hungover the next day again neglecting your kids, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

.strawberry.
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM

I agree with that.

When my DD was really little I stopped everything completely, and as she got older I started to do more and more things. I think I need that for my sanity. Some of my family/friends think going to a punk show on a weeknight is a poor parenting move but I don't agree. It's not like I'm going to booze it up with a bunch of strippers and cocaine. The last time I went out without DD was in December.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I don't think there's anything wrong with going out and doing something without your kids sometimes.  That's good for the parents and the kids.

However, I do have a problem with people who spend pretty much ALL of their free time and disposable income on "partying" without their kids.  If you pawn your kids off on other people all weekend, every weekend so you can go out and get smashed, then why did you even have kids in the first place?  Parents should actually enjoy spending time with their kids and should make doing things with them a priority.  Their whole childhood shouldn't be spent having out with grandparents or sitters while Mom is out clubbing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)