Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my mother in law said we're stealing her grandbabies

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My husband works for Publix if you don't know its a grocery store. He's the Assistant Store Manager. We used to live in my hometown. It's where we met and he was working as a department manager. We got married and when our first child was about 6 months old the company told him that he could move for two years 3 hours away to be trained as an assistant store manager. It doubled his income so we chose to do it. It was hard because all of my family is here. The bright side was we were only going to be about 30 minutes from my mother in law.

Well its been 2 years and they're ready to give him the option of moving back. He'll still be an assistant store manager but will become the store manager within about 5 years as the store manager will be retiring. However they gave us the option to stay here. It's a similar setup he will become store manager within the next few years if we stay here as well. However we agreed that this would only be a temporary thing. We want to move back.

We told my mother in law that we will be moving in two months. We also just found out that I'm pregnant and I'm very excited to be able to once again have my mother and other family members close to me especially during pregnancy while already having a little one. My mil tries to help and she is great in her own way but she's not my mother. She doesn't do things the way that I do. I'm not saying she should but I feel more comfortable having my mom wants my kids because I know that she will do exactly what I do because I learned from her.

anyway when we told her about it she got so upset even more so because she knows it's an option for us to stay. She knows because she's friends with the store manager. She has no one in the area. Her daughter married a man in the Marines and now lives outside the US. she has a few close friends but no family. We talked to her about maybe her moving with us. She could get a small place there. But she doesn't want to sell her house and she obviously cannot afford to keep her house here and then buy a house or even pay rent somewhere. she says that were stealing her grandbabies and that its not fair that she won't get to be part of their lives. We reminded her that it's not that far of a drive she can still see them and that this was always to be a temporary thing. I do feel bad for her because I know she's going to be lonely but I'm really excited to move back and we can't run our lives based on what she wants. My husband suggested finding a house that maybe has an in-law suite so she could stay for long periods of time. I told him I just couldn't do it. His mother is a nice woman but she's not somebody I can live with. After thinking it over he realized it wouldn't be a good idea. anyway I was thinking about when we move giving her a $500 gas gift card so she can come visit
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvnmyboi
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM
Tell MIL they're your children and you aren't stealing anything. Also, she can rent her house out if she doesn't want to sell and move as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:42 PM
They moved three hours away from the original store and only live 30 minutes away from mom in law.
xFaithx123
by Caris on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:42 PM
30 minutes really .........
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM
Ohvwtf. Lol. Now I look crazy since the original quote got deleted. Lol

Quoting Anonymous 3: They moved three hours away from the original store and only live 30 minutes away from mom in law.
Spare.Time
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM
She has a right to her opinion
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM
we currently live about 30 minutes from her once we move will be about three and a half hours from her

Quoting xFaithx123: 30 minutes really .........
almburr
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM
I think it's 3hrs and 30mins away from MIL. It looks like they are moving back to her hometown and will be closer to her extended family.

I saw 30min and thought that is nothing. I drive one way for groceries.
FrumpyPigSkin
by Don't Burn The Pig on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM
She'll get over it and come visit or she won't see them at all. Really the choice is up to her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:45 PM
she can think whatever she wants but once it comes out of her mouth she is responsible for what she says telling us that we're stealing our own children is out of line and it makes me question how much I want her around them. I'm going to give her a little bit of time to cool down but if she doesn't I'm not sure how often I will be inviting her to come see them in our new home

Quoting Spare.Time: She has a right to her opinion
DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:46 PM
She can drive to come see them. 3 hrs is not that far. We live 12 hrs from our family and friends. My mom says the same thing. She claims she don't know her grandkids anymore n yadda yadda. Well it's a part of life. Your mil knew it was temporary. She will get over it. Congrats on the baby and the promotion!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)