Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CRAFTY and CREATIVE Moms...I need your help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

I don't know how this happened but I got stuck making a material flag and a huge paper banner for DD's Girl Scout Troop. I am NOT a crafty person at all.  *sigh*

I was hoping some of you crafty and creative moms could give me some pointers on materials and techniques.  Here are my questions:

The flag:  What type of material would be best for this?  I also need to paste felt pieces on it.  What type of glue should I use?  Is there a fast way to hem the edges so it doesn't fray?

The banner:   I already have the paper but need to know what type of paint to use and if there are letter stencils that you can buy to make the writing look neat or if you know of another method to make neat letters.

I have a Jooann near by so I can get everything.  I just need help with WHAT to get.

Any hints and suggestions are appreciated!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM

bump

Anonymous

bump

Anonymous

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:51 PM

bump

fairymom82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM
Yes to stencils. Flag would be easy with canvas. Use fabric glue to fold and "hem" edges.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:54 PM
For the flag: if you're putting felt pieces on it I would buy felt to make the flag. I've bought glue in the past to glue felt together, pretty sure it was fabric glue but I'm not sure, it was by the felt in the craft store & worked pretty good.

For the banner: there are stencils you can buy (I usually freehand though so I'm not sure what's out there).
krazymom2boyz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM
Crafters glue is what I would use for the hem as well as the felt pieces. As for the banner, what type of paper are you using? Yes there are letter stencils and I would strongly recommend buying some.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Where would they have the stencils?  They have to be fairly large like 10 to 12 inches in height.  Joann's or Michael's?  Thanks!

Quoting fairymom82: Yes to stencils. Flag would be easy with canvas. Use fabric glue to fold and "hem" edges.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM
And if you use felt for the flag you don't have to hem, it won't fray.

Quoting Anonymous 2: For the flag: if you're putting felt pieces on it I would buy felt to make the flag. I've bought glue in the past to glue felt together, pretty sure it was fabric glue but I'm not sure, it was by the felt in the craft store & worked pretty good.

For the banner: there are stencils you can buy (I usually freehand though so I'm not sure what's out there).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Great! Thank you!

Quoting Anonymous 2: For the flag: if you're putting felt pieces on it I would buy felt to make the flag. I've bought glue in the past to glue felt together, pretty sure it was fabric glue but I'm not sure, it was by the felt in the craft store & worked pretty good. For the banner: there are stencils you can buy (I usually freehand though so I'm not sure what's out there).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)