Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should I be worried or is this just a weird phase?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Dd has learned how to throw a tantrum. Her newest thing is when I take something away from her she shouldn't have or when I won't give her something she wants, she bangs her head on the wall. Not hard but it still worries me. My mother says its a phase and ignore it, that one day she will knock herself hard enough to hurt herself and she will then learn her lesson and stop. My friend says her son did the same, and then a few years later was diagnosed autistic.

Dds pedi is not concerned with her development or hitting milestones as so far she has hit the mark earlier than average on everything. However I have not mentioned this new tantrum issue to him since she just started it about a week ago. She will be one in two weeks.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_Boho
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Just a phase. Its attention that makes you pay more attention to her, just ignore it or move her away from things when she does do it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM
My autistic son never banged his head.
gingerprincess
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:00 PM
Probably a phase, my oldest did it hard enough to leave bruises. His Dr said to ignore it completely that even negative attention would be giving him the attention over it he was after. Before that we'd tried everything to get him to stop. Started ignoring it completely, and it stopped shortly after.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:01 PM
Probably a phase.
Famousglm714
by Gina on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:01 PM

My toddler went through a hitting phase. It went away. I wouldn't worry just yet. 

sharonrena
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM

I would guess just a phase.  Try walking into another room when she starts throwing a tantrum... start singing a song she really likes and just ignore her.  She if this helps.  Good luck.  I remember those days and both of my kids are fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:03 PM
Probably just a phase. But get the fit throwing under control or that will get much worse real quick.
AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:05 PM

My son was a headbanger. He is not autistic and he did grow out of it. If she isn't delayed on any milestones then you shouldn't worry. Stop giving her headbanging attention and she'll stop on her own.

MamaBear131716
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:07 PM
Just a phase but a very annoying one. Both my boys throw themselves backwards when they don't get their way and in doing so hit their head on the floor. Then they look at me like I smacked them or something.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:07 PM
^^^ What they all said^^^^^
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)