Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you the parent of an athlete? What do you get sick of hearing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I get sick of hearing:

Let her be a kid and have fun!- LOL...as if I force her to be an athlete. It would be so nice not to run her until 9 p.m. some nights. It would be nice to be able to go on vacation and leave town for holidays. But, we can't because she made commitments that she has to honor, and they don't get holiday breaks from practice.

She's not an adult! Stop treating her like one! - No, she's not. She's an athlete who is dedicated to her sport, and she chooses to work hard at it.

She's so thin! She needs to slow down!- Yes, she's thin. She's also 100% muscle and as strong as an ox. She is an athlete. She's HEALTHY, and doesn't eat junk.

And, my favorite:

Don't be such a cheer mom! - LMAO! People have funny ideas about what's proper parental involvement and what's not when it comes to child athletes. Serious child athletes aren't typical children with typical lifestyles and typical coaching...or typical parenting.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
10isenough
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM
I actually get really tired of people telling me how good my ds8 is at soccer. I know he is really good but honestly,.......I don't need to be told by the same people that my kid is good at his sport EVERY time they watch him play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
10isenough
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:01 PM
Oh and I get tired of being told we are pushing him to hard. He plays 2 seasons a year and he does every camp and training they have by his choice. We ask him before we sign him up for anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmybug
by Traderspixie on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Mobile Photo

My dd is in Hockey. She has been for 2 years now. No one says anything to me. They think it's wonderful that she has something to focus on as an after school activity. She also has choir, which she loves.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:05 PM
I don't want to think of what people must have said to my mom. I was an overweight athlete who was not very good.

But i loved it, it gave me exercise, and gave me something to do after school.

I will 100% support my kids in their activities.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM
I'm the younger sister of an athlete. My brother played basketball, football, did track & field, etc. I am a bookworm through and through. I focused on classes, studying, and reading.
I absolutely hated it when teachers who had my brother expected me to be all sporty like he was. I took a weights class sophomore year and the teacher was like, "*You're* (brother's name)'s sister? Ugh. I expected... better."
mybabyapples
by Nickels on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:17 PM
My dd is in taekwondo and I'm sick of people asking me if its really such a good sport for a little girl. She's the youngest in her age group, and the only girl in the class. And she kicks ass!!
stayathommom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:18 PM
Quoting Anonymous 3: I'm the younger sister of an athlete. My brother played basketball, football, did track & field, etc. I am a bookworm through and through. I focused on classes, studying, and reading.
I absolutely hated it when teachers who had my brother expected me to be all sporty like he was. I took a weights class sophomore year and the teacher was like, "*You're* (brother's name)'s sister? Ugh. I expected... better."

Same here except I am older.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:37 PM

I just get the "he exercises too much, it's not healthy." Sorry, but a seven year old running off energy for a couple of hours a day is healthy. We have had people literally say that it's child abuse that he has to run a mile in the beginning of tennis practice and that he swims laps in swim team. When they hear that he trains in mixed martial arts, they imagine cage matches and kids beating each other with chairs, not anything like what martial arts actually is. If we were ordering him to run until he passes out in the sun  or ordering him to lift 50 pound weights, then okay, but what he is doing is not anything that he can't handle. The human body is meant to be active. He should not be considered an anomaly by other parents because he eats a healthy diet and can walk a couple miles. We already are getting comments about our 1.5 year old son and daughter because they can walk a few blocks without needing a stroller. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2015 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Oh, she is just cute as a button! Mine is the dark skinned, black haired one, second from the end on the right.

Quoting luvmybug:

Mobile Photo

My dd is in Hockey. She has been for 2 years now. No one says anything to me. They think it's wonderful that she has something to focus on as an after school activity. She also has choir, which she loves.
AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Feb. 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM
My oldest two kids took Tae Kwon Do for years. I had a mom on another forum tell me that I was "teaching them to be violent." My eyes still hurt from rolling them that hard.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)