Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

washington d.c......need some tips!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
If you take an amtrak into d.c., do you need a car once you get there or is it easy to get around without one? Are the main attractions close together? How do you get around? Starting to plan a weekend trip. Never been there. Need tips:) It'll be my youngest son (17) and I.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LalasMommy1125
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM
The metro is pretty easy to use. You shouldn't need a car and you probably won't want to drive there anyway . Look up the metro map and plan your trip. You can get to the attractions using the metro but of course there will be some walking. Have fun!
the_dude
by abides on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM

It's best not to have a car in DC. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Thanks!!

Quoting LalasMommy1125: The metro is pretty easy to use. You shouldn't need a car and you probably won't want to drive there anyway . Look up the metro map and plan your trip. You can get to the attractions using the metro but of course there will be some walking. Have fun!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Ok:) Thanks!!

Quoting the_dude:

PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Rent a patriotic hooker and ride her ass to and from each hot spot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:31 PM
I'll get right on that ;)

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Rent a patriotic hooker and ride her ass to and from each hot spot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM

You definitely don't need a car. I would advise strongly against one, actually, as traffic and parking are a bitch there.

Hit the Smithsonians for sure, they are all pretty close together and are free. And go see the Constitution. It's pretty awesome! The memorials, of course. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing tour was actually really interesting, too (you watch and learn about how money is printed. No samples, unfortunately!)

And expect food to be outrageously expensive! I love DC, though! We used to live in Virginia and take a train in for weekend trips, but then moved far out of state:/ 

Libby22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM
I live in NOVA and work in DC. You'll be coming into Union Station from Amtrak, which also has the Metro. I recommend looking up the Metro map on WMATA's website. Get a SmarTrip card to save money. Whatever you can't access from Metro you can cab to.

What are you interested in seeing? You actually picked a good time since it's too cold for many tourists.
the_dude
by abides on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Seriously, it's super hard to find anywhere to park, ever. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Ok:) Thanks!!
Quoting the_dude:

EAzizM
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:34 PM
There is definitely no need for a car to sightsee in Dc. I have even gone to Mt. Vernon without a car. It's awesome
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)