Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graduating High School Poor and entering College Poor

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:54 AM
  • 40 Replies

So I was just replying in another post about Judging people based on their clothing and well on my floor we all dress fashionable... We have too... Anyhow I just suddenly thought about how D our office manager maintains most of the floor activities and events also works with the Work Study students (mostly girls) and how amazed I am with the tranformation these girls go through in a single semester with D. Most of the girls come from family that are poor, single mother, are very poor themselves and dont a lot of money or fiancial support. So a lot of them come into our office wearing leggings and worn down shirts... I mean you can tell they havent got anything new in their closets. Hair all messy and not really well groomed ya know. Some are pretty clean but still.... I dunno if D specifically looks for these types of girls, she must look inside what their goals are and then outside and think.... Hmmm Im gonna help this girl on the outside too! ya know....

Anyhow all three of them are still with us we get a new one every year until they either quit or graduate. I dont think we have ever had a work study girl/student quit on us they adore D!

And the most amazing thing of all by the time these girls are done with the semester with us they all look great. Not fancy or rich or anything I dunno D does it where she gets the clothes for them because I know they dont have the money. But they are very professional looking by the time they finish the semester. Each year the girls look better.

I personally think that is cool myself because its hard enough being poor, your parents being poor, I was once that girl also. You aint got a dime to your name. Its nice people like D help them find ways....

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
She sounds like an awesome person.
thetrollcat
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:01 AM

she is funny thing is when I first started working there I think she thought I was like the helper kind of girl... I only worked part time and she is not familiar with web design so I dunno it was weird because she was always kina hanging over me like I needed a babysitter or so LOL.

Then one day she just sits down and asked me what do you do? Im like D I do exactly what J does... I have the same skills J does LOL. She was like OMG oh wow and after that I started seeing her from a different light. She can be a little awkward until you get used to her ya know... I dunno its hard to explain. She likes to be in charge and keeps everything running timely... You get used to it and even thankful she does that. LOL

But ya I need to nominate her someday for all the work she does in the office and those girls. They start so confused and ya know heads down avoid eye contact and walk out with chins in the air when they graduate. Its a good thing meow

Quoting anon71: She sounds like an awesome person.

MajesticHorse
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:03 AM
What stores does she shop at?
thetrollcat
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:05 AM

D oh I dunno she does wear decent office type clothing not cheap but not excessively expensive. She is super skinny too and not saying all but a lot of the girls are not her size so they dont come from D where she gets the clothing. I dunno if she asks for donations or helps them with funding I dunno but I know the girls look great when they finally finish the semester. D is just good like that.,

Quoting MajesticHorse: What stores does she shop at?

MajesticHorse
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM
Thats really sweet of her.:)

Quoting thetrollcat:

D oh I dunno she does wear decent office type clothing not cheap but not excessively expensive. She is super skinny too and not saying all but a lot of the girls are not her size so they dont come from D where she gets the clothing. I dunno if she asks for donations or helps them with funding I dunno but I know the girls look great when they finally finish the semester. D is just good like that.,

Quoting MajesticHorse: What stores does she shop at?

MysticRainbow
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:12 AM
Well. One does get a paycheck for work study. So.....
Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:14 AM
That's really cool of her. It's hard to be poor and have people look down on you. It's probably a great boost to their confidence and self esteem to have that kindness.
thetrollcat
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:20 AM

ya I agree I am in and out of the office a lot Im doing school and working part time and my schedule is super crazy but I do notice when they first start they do look uncomfty ya know I know I was when I first started mainly because of the floor we work on. But ya they do really well and great opportunity for them helps encourage them to keep going.

Quoting Jabojoe: That's really cool of her. It's hard to be poor and have people look down on you. It's probably a great boost to their confidence and self esteem to have that kindness.

thetrollcat
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:20 AM

you dont really make a lot on work study pay

Quoting MysticRainbow: Well. One does get a paycheck for work study. So.....

MysticRainbow
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:22 AM
Depends on the job. Some my daughter's work studys, she made pretty decent money. Others, not so good. Right now she is making pretty good money.

Quoting thetrollcat:

you dont really make a lot on work study pay

Quoting MysticRainbow: Well. One does get a paycheck for work study. So.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)