Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

veteran with ptsd and now has become abusive :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
My dh and I have been together for 16 years we were high school sweethearts...dh is a veteran and served 4 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan...
He was diagnosed with ptsd, but in the last 4 years has become abusive to me both mentally, emotionally and physically...
I don't know how to help him or how much more I can take of his abuse :(
He lashes out for no reason, becomes angry for no reason (everything will be fine then for no reason at all he will become angry) the last time he was physically abusive was in October he split my lip open, kicked me, shoved me into a wall, threatened to kill me with his gun, grabbed one of those huge heavey flashlights lifted it above his head and threatened to beat me with it as I ducked he swung around me and smash a table with it...every day he calls me names (stupid, idiot, retarded etc..)
I love him to death,but I am at my breaking point..I am scared of him, I walk around on eggshell every day..
He wasn't always like this he use to be a sweet, loving and caring man..
How do I convince him he needs help before he seriously hurts me?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:58 AM
2 moms liked this

YOU need to leave him BEFORE he kills you......which is what is going to happen if you stay.

Leave him and tell him you will stay gone until he gets help....period

Amybelle
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:58 AM

You need to GET OUTTA There before he kills you!!

kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry, I've been there. I literally had to leave and live with my parents while he worked things out. The reason he lashes out st you is because he's more vulnerable with yoi. He knows you will love him anyway. It's not him doing this to you,it's him trying to feel like he has some control over his life again. He does need help, and if he won't accept that, you have to do what's best for yourself and your children. Tell him how you feel and what you are doing, then remove yourself from the situation until he gets the help he needs. This doesn't ever go away,but with counseling it can be a lot better.
janedoe13
by boxerdog lover on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

what she said.

Quoting Sassy762:

YOU need to leave him BEFORE he kills you......which is what is going to happen if you stay.

Leave him and tell him you will stay gone until he gets help....period

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:04 AM
You need to leave. My dh suffers from PTSD too- he's VA rated at 100% but took the necessary steps to get help via counseling and therapy. He managed to retire from the army after 22 years and he's never raised his hands to me or our children.

I know you love him but love won't keep you alive.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:08 AM
You need to leave him. I have PTSD and I have never abused anyone. Get yourself and your kids far far away. I personally hope he gets the help he needs but there is no excuse or cure for abuse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:10 AM

Well, it's not going to get better. So...maybe think about....I dunno...leaving? You can convince him by calling the police so he can get the help he needs from somewhere that can help him. When he's better, you guys can get counseling together to better deal with the PTSD. 

Djinn83
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:14 AM

That isn't PTSD. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:28 AM
I am scared to leave especially with three kids and no where to go
MrsHMS
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:36 AM
Scarred to go scarred to stay.. I know it kills you for your kids to hear the abuse. You need a plan but more imporant you need to think with your head not let your feelings decide. what advice would you tell your kids if they were married to a spouse like yours?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I am scared to leave especially with three kids and no where to go
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)