Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colonizing Mars?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:53 AM
  • 33 Replies

If you had a one way ticket to Mars, would you take it?

These 100 aspiring astronauts would.

The Dutch foundation that's planning to colonize Mars—and make the process a reality TV show—said it's narrowed down a pool of more than 200,000 applicants to a shortlist of 100 potentially spacebound candidates.

The Mars One group is now considering 50 men and 50 women for four spots on its anticipated Red Planet mission, where winners get a one-way ticket to Mars and are expected to start colonizing it. The space start up will film the entire selection process, training and the colonization for earthling viewers.

A list of candidates and their bios is publishedon the Mars One website.

The soon to be astronauts will go to Mars in 2025 to establish a settlement. If all goes well, Mars One will keep sending groups of four people every two years to grow the colony and sustain life. The trip to Mars would be anywhere between 34,8 milliom milles and 250 million miles, all depending on how distant apart the planets are. It would take the astronauts about 39 days (closest approach) to 289 days (farthest approach).

The could-be Mars stars hail from nearly 35 countries, and the U.S., with 38 candidates (33 U.S. born), has the most amateur astronauts in the running. The American candidates include middle-aged engineers, Ph.D. candidates in their 30s and several contenders in their 20s. The ages of all the candidates range from 19 to 60.

The candidates from other parts of the world include: 31 from Europe, 16 from Asia, seven from Africa and seven from Oceania.

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:00 AM
Dumbest thing ever.
A.Whovian
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't drink the water!
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

No.  I can see colonizing the New World aka North America in the 1600's but colonizing a hostile planet where you have to build your own ecosystem/habitat and if something goes wrong, you're screwed because there is no leaving and coming back to Earth.  I don't understand how this is even a serious project.

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:12 AM
No, I have too much to live for here. I wouldn't give it up for something so stupid.
that_mom_mary
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:12 AM
I can see why we'd want to, I mean it's a big thing. This is a huge leap for the scientific community. Would I do it, hell no! Lol but I commend those who do
eve210
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:14 AM
It's an interesting concept but I don't think it'll happen. Also, no I do not want a one way ticket anywhere!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:16 AM
That would be cool to go to Mars ! but I'd want to come home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelenaHandbsket
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:17 AM
I would do it if I didn't have children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:17 AM
I think it sounds cool but risky. I sure wouldnt want to be a candidate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:17 AM
I think its a cool idea. I wouldnt volunteer until the safety was proven. But really why not? We have destroyed the earth and will continue to.
But what will the Martians think? They could be nice or hostile. They should bring gifts for them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)