Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you found a wallet on the street

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:34 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: If you found someone's wallet and their cash & everything was still inside, how hard would you try to make sure they got it back?

Options:

Wouldn't have picked it up, not my problem

Just dropped it at a nearby store for them

Taken it to the police station

Searched online for them, message them & their family

Would have just cleaned out the money and tossed it

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

And there was only $12.00 in it, but there was bank cards, ID and a few store cards in it - how hard would you try to track the person down to return it? I found one this weekend and managed to message the owner on Facebook, as well as a few people off her friends' list to help get in touch with her. I asked around at the stores near where it was found to see if she'd let them know she'd lost it. The ID did not have an address listed (I would've dropped it at their house if it did).

When I spoke to the people at the stores, they (and the other customers who heard me talking) all seemed shocked and so wow'ed that I would be putting this much energy into trying to track this person down.

I thought I was just doing the right thing - posted an ad online in the lost & found section, and tried to message her. Why is that doing extra?

How much effort would you put into finding the person who lost their wallet?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I found a wallet in the 7 eleven parking lot. I didn't even look in it, I just gave it to the cashier.

Smaug
by Book Worm on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:38 AM
Super nice of you to give it back. I dropped mine in a parking lot two years ago, and a guy brought it to my house. I gave him the $20 I had in it.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Probably give it to the police.  I lost a wallet and purse once and the only reason I got it back is some nice lady turned it in to the police and they brought it back to me. 

AnonyMinnie
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM

12 dollars? Shmmmmm I'd give it back. Do what you did, contact on FB if I was sure it was theirs or just turn it into the police station

bondgirl11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM
I found a purse someone left in a shopping cart, I just looked at the address and drove there and returned it. She was very grateful, even offered me money, but I declined because I would hope someone would do the same if it was me.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:42 AM

If it was at a store, I would take it to customer service or something. If it was just some random place, I would take it to the police station. I might try to look the person up on facebook and send them a message if I find them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:44 AM
If there was an id i would return it to the address that's on the id. If that wasn't possible i would just take it to the police station.
I found a bank card in a parking lot once and took it straight to the police station.
WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:44 AM

What does $12 mean?  I rarely have any cash in my wallet anymore because I use my cards everywhere.  I only have change in it now, yet I have money in the bank.  It means nothing in this day and age.

Quoting AnonyMinnie:

12 dollars? Shmmmmm I'd give it back. Do what you did, contact on FB if I was sure it was theirs or just turn it into the police station

lulumomof2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM

yes I would try to find the person (facebook as you did) or trying to look up their info online. If their driver's license was in it I would take it to that address. 

AnonyMinnie
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Exactly. Can't exactly say I'd be against taking some random cash laying around but I definitely ain't a dumb ass enough to take someones cards and use them. Can we say traceable fraud and etc. etc. No thanks! LOL. So if the cash is cashed out, I'll just give her on back lol.

Quoting WickedOpal:

What does $12 mean?  I rarely have any cash in my wallet anymore because I use my cards everywhere.  I only have change in it now, yet I have money in the bank.  It means nothing in this day and age.

Quoting AnonyMinnie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)