Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school is about to get an ear full!!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies
In need of some advice. I have a 7 year old son who was diagnosed with adhd, social anxiety, borderline if, cognitive delays, has a lazy eye, stigmatism, is farsighted and has a 10% hearing loss in one ear. He was diagnosed adhd in kindergarten at the age of 5. We knew long before his diagnosis he probably had it.

He always had trouble waiting his turn, always talked loud, fast and non stop, had trouble sitting without fidgeting in his seat, ignored us when we would call his name, had trouble following directions, got easily upset playing games because he didn't understand even the simplest of rules, isolated himself from other kids, got easily frustrated, made random inappropriate comments ect.

at school he has an iep for his cognitive delays and his adhd. He is in special ed classes for occupational therapy, speech therapy, reading and math. Other than that they have him in main stream classes. We have a daily journal that his classroom teacher writes in to communicate daily behavior and performance academically. Outside of school he see ' s a behavioral therapist once a week and a child physc doctor once a month, and is involved twice a month in a group play therapy session.

Lately, mainly at school, I'm noticing things I'm not happy about. My son's teacher hasn't been writing in his notebook daily, when she does write in the notebook she writes basically nothing. Well last week I found out from the principal that my son wasn't allowed to go to music class twice because in gym Class he kept flicking kids in line while playing a game. He spent music class sitting in the principals office. Something that was not written in the notebook which should have been. 2 days later I got a phone call from the principal saying that at indoor recess my son called another kid a bad name. When asked why he said to be mean. That happened in the classroom while the teacher was in the room yet nothing was write about it in the notebook. The next day during a lock down drill my son was elbowing a girl repeatedly and wouldn't get up and move to another spot when asked. Again no report was made about this in his notebook. In fact, that day the teacher didn't write anything in the notebook.

At the last iep meeting two months ago I told them that my son would probably Be better of academically if he was taken out of the mainstream classroom and put in a special ed class where he can get more individual attention and be monitored more closely. They denied my request saying with the disability he has he doesn't qualify for that and they felt it wasn't necessary. I then suggested a Para and was told the same thing. They agreed that the notebook for communication was a good idea and that they were capable of handling him.

I fon ' want my child hurting another child or hindering another child from learning. I also don't want my child to get hurt by other kids. My son has been asking me things lately that lead me to believe he is being bullied by kids in his classroom. He came home one day and asked what weird meant. I told him and he said ,"oh so that's what I am." I questioned him and he said, "a kid in my class said told another kid not to play with me because I am weird." A few days later he told me, "a kid at recess told him he was disgusting and told my son to go to hell." I asked if he told the teacher and he said no. I asked why and he said because he's my friend. I asked why he tough he was his friend and he said because when he said that everyone was laughing. Laughing means your happy and when your happy were friends. One day my son came home and his glasses were broke. Not to the point he couldn't wear them but totally broke. I asked how it happened and he said that at indoor recess he was walking over to get a toy and a kid put his foot out and purposely tripped him. His glasses fell to the floor Knocking his glasses off and breaking them. The kid pointed at him and laughed with his hand over his mouth. My son is not the type to tell o. Another kid. I brought this to there attention and all I hear is we aren't seeing any of this.

The whole situation is a mess. I called the school to set up a meeting and am they told me that I'd need to talk to his teacher. I out a note in his folder but the teacher has stopped writing in it. I left a note with the office to have the teacher call me and they keep telling me she's just busy.

UgH!!!! I don't know wth to do? How would you handle this?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:39 AM

So you send your kid to a school with teachers you don't trust with handling the day to day things  and they must notify you of every little thing.

You are in control, you are the mom.

JoyNLove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:40 AM
Sorry but your child needs to be in a SN class then. I would expect him to get in trouble if doing that crap to my child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM
Honestly I didn't read the whole thing but sounds like you are doing all that you can. The teacher nreds to communicate better so you can work wuth the school.

I would call the principal and request a meeting with the teacher and principal presrnt. Try to get back on track. It does nothing for you to find out about the incidents days after they happen.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:44 AM
3 moms liked this
On the one hand, an IEP is a legal document and must be followed.

On the other hand, I once had a class of 31 students with 19 IEPs. Your kid is not the only one the teacher must handle, nor is he the only one with an IEP. Talk to her politely about your concerns and give her time to increase her efforts. If that doesn't work, well, it kind of sounds like your son belongs in a smaller class with more one-on-one attention.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM
The teacher has how many other kids to keep track of and teach? And you are expecting her to be at your beck and call to write down every time your kid does anything? If he's being that much of a disruption, no one, including him is getting the education they should be. If you can't get the school to put him in a special needs class full time, perhaps you should pull him or entirely and home school him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM
Send the school a written request for an IEP meeting. They have only like 30 days to respond to the request and get it done. Then demand why his IEP is not being met (writing in the notebook). Personally, I think if they write in the notebook and tell you what's going on so you can fix it at home, that things will get better. But I agree with the school I don't think he needs to be in a special education class and he doesn't need a para.
AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this
If you have a Department of Developmental Disabilities in your area (or an equivalent), set up a meeting and get a caseworker. They can help on his behalf, and IME they get better results than a parent going at it alone. They are excellent advocates.

Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM
One word...HOMESCHOOL.
Charlie557
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:46 AM

I wouldn't have my child in that school or I would be strongly pushing for him to be in a SN classroom. It is obvious they are not interested in the best interests of your child or they do not have the resources to meet your child's needs. 

AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:48 AM
She tried. They turned her down.

Quoting JoyNLove: Sorry but your child needs to be in a SN class then. I would expect him to get in trouble if doing that crap to my child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)