Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going from a SAHM to working full time...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this
Anyone done this? I've been a sahm for 5 1/2 years. I worked twice for a few months each time. Not like this will be though.

This is a 5 day a week job- M-F, like the hours are weird I think from what I'm getting that's flexible but the girl leaving did 8:30-4:30 or something like that. I'll be right in town where my kids will be at my moms. Come fall my oldest will be in school.

I'm getting kinda burnt out on being at home full time. I will miss them so much it hurts, especially my youngest- she is 2. I planned on going back when she was in preschool at the earliest. I'm just not benefiting anyone being at home. I'm slacking on the house, myself, the kids. We used to do crafts and games every day and had so much fun but lately I'm forcing myself to do the bare min. I'm almost to the point of depression/loosing myself. In the long run, my checks will be extra, my husband has always provided and we are comfortable. So we can get a jumpstart on our plans for rental properties and being 100% debt free (like paying off car, mortgage and staying out of debt by only using cash) which in the long run benefits the kids more. Their college accounts will grow faster as well.

I feel like I'm failing by being burnt out on staying home.

I know it's for the best. Please no bashing!

Did anyone do this? How was the transition?

Working moms- how do you make the most out of the time your home? Like I am sitting here realizing I will see them a few hours in the am, like 4/5 hours at night and Saturdays and Sunday's. With summer coming that saddens me. No pool days, no lunch picnics, we normally just hang out in my moms yard most days and play and what not.

Any tips or thoughts- bring Em!

There is a chance I could start with 3/4 days. I'm hoping at least in the summer to do that.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weaveress
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:26 AM
At first it was horrible. I felt guilty and the kids took several months to adjust. It's been a year and a half now. Every one is doing fine. They have fun at the sitters and grandma s house. Time away for me is good. It helps me focus on them better when I am home. And they are all more independent.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:26 AM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM
How old are they? how long are you gone?

Like I'm glad it's in town- I don't really do anything outside of this little town. So I don't have "drive time" besides 5 minutes of that. If there is no traffic it takes me 3 minutes to get from this place to my moms, which is a road over from my house.

Quoting weaveress: At first it was horrible. I felt guilty and the kids took several months to adjust. It's been a year and a half now. Every one is doing fine. They have fun at the sitters and grandma s house. Time away for me is good. It helps me focus on them better when I am home. And they are all more independent.
weaveress
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:33 AM
11 and almost 5. The youngest is in half day preschool. I drop them off at school. I get to work about nine. I pick them up from grandma's about six thirty. It's a twenty five minute drive to work for me.

Quoting Anonymous 1: How old are they? how long are you gone?

Like I'm glad it's in town- I don't really do anything outside of this little town. So I don't have "drive time" besides 5 minutes of that. If there is no traffic it takes me 3 minutes to get from this place to my moms, which is a road over from my house.

Quoting weaveress: At first it was horrible. I felt guilty and the kids took several months to adjust. It's been a year and a half now. Every one is doing fine. They have fun at the sitters and grandma s house. Time away for me is good. It helps me focus on them better when I am home. And they are all more independent.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Was your 11 year in school? I can't imagine that being much different since he/she was in school if so.

Quoting weaveress: 11 and almost 5. The youngest is in half day preschool. I drop them off at school. I get to work about nine. I pick them up from grandma's about six thirty. It's a twenty five minute drive to work for me.

Quoting Anonymous 1: How old are they? how long are you gone?

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Both of mine are in school full time so that helps, but the summers are the hardest for me... Thankfully DH works from home a lot so he is there, but I feel like I miss out on so much with them during the summer.

The transition was hard at first, but I knew it was for the best. I just make sure that if they have important stuff at school I can be there. Field trips, parties, etc.... The kids adjusted better than I did, but it was still hard.

It has gotten better and I just have to manage the time we have together better to make the most out of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm hoping it's the same for me as a family member who is there- it's a smaller ish but decent sized family run company. They give quite a few personal days. I'm not one to get sick, or have much personal to do. So I figured once every two weeks take a personal day like the family member does. He got them right off the bat- like 15 to use- plus a weeks vacation.

If I'm only 3/4 days it won't be as bad- 5 though whew.

Quoting sarah824:

Both of mine are in school full time so that helps, but the summers are the hardest for me... Thankfully DH works from home a lot so he is there, but I feel like I miss out on so much with them during the summer.

The transition was hard at first, but I knew it was for the best. I just make sure that if they have important stuff at school I can be there. Field trips, parties, etc.... The kids adjusted better than I did, but it was still hard.

It has gotten better and I just have to manage the time we have together better to make the most out of it.

happinessforyou
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM

You're gonna be tired... but once you establish a good rountine it will get better :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Good luck. I could never leave my babies. I don't know how mom's do it!
that_mom_mary
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM
I tried it. I've been a sahm since my oldest was born 11 years ago. When both kids were in school full time, I started working. It didn't last long, maybe 2 months. It didn't work out for us. Dh prefers me at home and I prefer not having to try and find people to watch my kids or get them to and from school. Now I'm pregnant again so I won't be going back for a long time if ever. Dh likes the idea of me being a housewife when the kids leave the best. Then again when my now youngest is 19, the baby will only be 10 lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)